Replace stock turn signal flasher RELAYS for LED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace stock turn signal flasher RELAYS for LED

ern3

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Anyone have any luck?? I found the correct LED bulbs for front and rear, but dont want to install 4 separate resistors... Id rather replace the 2 relays. The p/n is: 8t2t-ca.

Thanks

-ern

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had any luck finding a new relay? I am at the same point as you I think....

I doubt he has, that post was from 4 years ago. I have not seen a electronic flasher module for the 5th gen Explorers (if there even is one at all). I know on some newer Fords you can turn off the "bulb out signal" through Forscan, but I am not getting that far into my module programming since its under warranty.

In the LED lighting thread, you'll find the resistors that you can install to eliminate it without programming.

Resistors, yes, electronic flasher module no. If you use resistors, makes sure to mount them to metal, away from any plastic because they get very hot.

Have you had any luck finding a new relay? I am at the same point as you I think....
Welcome tom the Forum Sean.:wave:
I don't know if the Explorer has the same setup as your F-150. That might be something to check out first.

Peter

He cant add an electronic flasher module it on his 2014 F150 either. The bulb out has to be turned off in Forscan. Only F150's up to 2008 had a flasher module that you could swap in a EP27 and not have to worry about resistors when using LED's in your turn signals.

Anyone have any luck?? I found the correct LED bulbs for front and rear, but dont want to install 4 separate resistors... Id rather replace the 2 relays. The p/n is: 8t2t-ca.

Thanks

-ern
Hi ern3. So I upgraded to all LED interior and extior in my 05. easy to do. All i had to do was go to napa after to get a LED specific turn signal relay. I bought all the bulbs off Amazon and they go right into the factory plugs. No resistors or anything needed. All works great for me. I have experienced a new issue though that I'm hoping others can help me with. Recently I have had my turn signals stop working at the relay. It was out of the blue. I got under the dash to the fuse panal and if I pull the relay out a little and tilt it they start working again. I have it wedged it that way for now but would like to fix it so its right. Any ideas guys?

Hi ern3. So I upgraded to all LED interior and extior in my 05. easy to do. All i had to do was go to napa after to get a LED specific turn signal relay. I bought all the bulbs off Amazon and they go right into the factory plugs. No resistors or anything needed. All works great for me. I have experienced a new issue though that I'm hoping others can help me with. Recently I have had my turn signals stop working at the relay. It was out of the blue. I got under the dash to the fuse panal and if I pull the relay out a little and tilt it they start working again. I have it wedged it that way for now but would like to fix it so its right. Any ideas guys?
The member you quoted was last seen here on December 13, 2014.
The 5th gen Explorer doesn't use relays for controlling the signals, it is all electronic and controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM).

Peter

Back