Replace the OBD II system with an eec-IV system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace the OBD II system with an eec-IV system

93rangerturbo

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt AWD
Was talking to a guy i work and he was trying to convince me to remove my obd II and use a 89-93 mustang Mass air system in my 1999 ranger that im swapping in a fuel injected 351W. Not that it matters but its getting a SAS so header clearance wont be an issue. I am keeping it fuel injected and running the EDIS system on the eec-iv computer. My concern is will i lose the speedometer since its electronic if i use the mustang engine harness and computer. I want to keep the interior stock. I would be getting the tuning done by tweecer rt when running if it matters. Any questions or comments let me know and ill get you an answer. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe you will lose the speedometer because your Ranger will either be RABS or 4WABS which means the VSS signal will not come from the PCM but from the Gem module or the 4WABS module, which works off the rear abs sensor on the rearend pumpkin.

4WABS signal?

I don't believe you will lose the speedometer because your Ranger will either be RABS or 4WABS which means the VSS signal will not come from the PCM but from the Gem module or the 4WABS module, which works off the rear abs sensor on the rearend pumpkin.

I agree assuming that your 1999 Ranger wiring is similar to my 2000 Sport wiring. The speedometer is analog and not digital and is driven by the signal generated by the 4WABS.

Does anyone happen to know the waveform of the 4WABS VSS signal? I want to replace my stock power steering pump with an electric one from an MR2 and control the pump speed using a pulse width modulated speed controller that senses the vehicle speed.

Does anyone happen to know the waveform of the 4WABS VSS signal? I want to replace my stock power steering pump with an electric one from an MR2 and control the pump speed using a pulse width modulated speed controller that senses the vehicle speed.

Next time im out driving with WDS, i can put it in oscilliscope mode and monitor the vss signal on Storm (2000 sohc limited)

sinusoidal or duty cycle

Next time im out driving with WDS, i can put it in oscilliscope mode and monitor the vss signal on Storm (2000 sohc limited)

That would be extremely helpful! I suspect it's either a sinusoidal waveform of varying frequency or an on/off waveform of varying duty cycle. It can't be too sophisticated since most radios use it to vary volume with vehicle speed and my analog speedometer reads it.

Edit: To avoid highjacking this thread please post what you find here: Electric power steering pump

Back