Replace valve body and lost reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace valve body and lost reverse

Slotz00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
The truck is a 98 XLT 4.0 SOHC with about 120000 miles

Ok so my problem with my transmission was what I believed to be the 3rd shift flare. When shifting into third it would feel like it down shifted or reved higher and then would shift after a bit or would shift quicker if I let off the gas.

After much time reading the threads associated with the diary I decided I just didn't have the time for a rebuild so I brought one from Central Valve Bodies.

I installed the VB without incident and it seemed to help the shift probelm some but it would still seem to flare some though much quicker and smoother if that makes sense. Just a few days after I did the work my wife was backing up and she said it felt like she hit something and reverse stopped working. All other gears work but reverse just revs. I'm hoping that is something simple though the way she described it I'm not so sure.

I'm hoping to get some advise for when I get the time to drop the pan again and curse at the darn cat converter.

Thanks for the great group and help you all provide. I just picked up the truck for the winter and I really like it so I hope I can get this resolved reasonably.

Thanks,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Check the low/reverse servo, seals, gasket & band. Do you have 4WD? It could have a broken shift fork in the transfer case. Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts?

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have to try to find the time to take it apart again. I will have to research the items you mentioned. I did torque the bolts to what I found in the diary though I don't have the actual number. What would I be looking at if I over tightened?

Thanks again.

Thanks BrooklynBay for your assistance on this. I am hoping to get back in there this weekend. Can you give me an idea of what I am looking at with the possibilities with the band and the shift fork? Am I looking at rebuild kinda thing? I really though I was going the right route with getting a reman from CVB.

I am not sure what I am looking for either way but will I see it when I pull the VB out?

Thanks again.
Scott

If the reverse band broke, (common) then you would be looking at a rebuild basically since the band is all the way in the back of the trans.

Well it's been a while but I finally was able to get back to work on the truck. I dropped the pan and pulled the servo and inspected. No parts in the pan and the servo tip has some very minor cracking but is very much in tact. I inserted a screwdriver as suggested in the hole and about an inch and a half up a hit something and was able to push the screwdriver up I would say a tad less then a half inch. Now it did feel like there was some spring action it also felt loose. Without any reference I just don't know what to expect with the findings.

How does my findings sound to you BB?

Scott

No that is my next step. I just need to research what is involved and what I'm looking for. If you have a saved link on this procedure that would be appreciated.

I am glad to hear my finding support (hopefully) the band is not broken.

I'm hoping to do more this weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott

There's a way to check it without opening the transfer case. Remove the transfer case, and the rear driveshaft. Make sure that the parking brake is on. Have somebody look at the output shaft coming out of the transmission while you shift into reverse, then into drive. The shaft coming out of the 4 X 4 housing should turn both ways.

YOu probably just forgot to hook up the detent lever correctly. Common problem when going in for the first time.

Thanks for the thought Blue.

I just went out to check and the lever looks good to me. I am increasingly coming to terms the band is toast. I wondered about what I felt when I pushed the screwdriver in. What I felt was on the lose side so I wonder if there was spring action or whatever I pushed up just came down. I was able to move a piece around a bit with the screwdriver I believe. I'm assuming the band is not loose enough to move around?

Thanks.

Thanks for the thought Blue.

I just went out to check and the lever looks good to me. I am increasingly coming to terms the band is toast. I wondered about what I felt when I pushed the screwdriver in. What I felt was on the lose side so I wonder if there was spring action or whatever I pushed up just came down. I was able to move a piece around a bit with the screwdriver I believe. I'm assuming the band is not loose enough to move around?

Thanks.

The lever is inside the oil pan. Very easy to miss this when you reassemble...

Back