replaced 5.0 motor, now no start/spark | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replaced 5.0 motor, now no start/spark

jasondelane

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited 5.0
Hey guys, I'm stumped

I've got a 1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD that had a burnt piston. The engine ran before I started an engine swap. I believe the junkyard engine came out of a 98 Explorer. I used my old harness, throttle body, coils, new plugs, wires. After the swap I tried to crank, engine turns, and after some troubleshooting found no spark. Swapped the crank sensor that I knew worked with the old engine and still had no spark. Double checked all plugs and sensors, and everything is plugged in. Checked all fuses good. There is no check engine light, and I cant remember if I had a theft light before(my key doesn't a chip). I'm thinking of putting the old cam sensor into the new motor tomorrow but wanted to see what this forum thought first. Any other ideas? Anti theft?

Thanks guys:mad:

Fixed it. Crank sensor wire at plug was uninsulated and twisted during the motor install somehow. Shorted the two wires resulting in no start. Pulled tensioner, unplugged, wrapped wires. Reinstalled everything. Fired right up

Back