Replaced CV Joint Seems Worse Off

prayforsurf0

Reaction score
City, State
Montauk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I put this in the driveshaft CV joint sticky above,

I just did this replacement [driveshaft CV] on my truck because I would get a loud "clunck" when reversing and turning in four wheel drive. Also replaced the U joint while I was taking the shaft off.

Everything went smoothly. Installed the boot and clamped it, lined up the bearing joint with the dust shield holes and put some grease back there before sliding the joint on the shaft spline, and putting the clip on; packed more grease on top, closed it up with the cap and reinstalled, no problems.

It drives just fine in four wheel, much like before, however now I can feel a lot of resistance and moaning when turning the wheel more than say 45 degrees either way while driving in four wheel. Wasn't like that before. If I tried to go past 45 degrees I get resistance and even knocking in the joint if I don't back off the turn and come back to where it seems comfortable.

Any ideas ?

In full disclosure I lost my alignment marks because I only marked the joint and x case flange on removal. I forgot to put a mark on the shaft before removing the old joint. Could this be a balancing issue ? This is very strange to me.

For some reason I'm imagining the cap coming off between the x case flange and the joint and getting pinched and tumbled around inside the joint between the case and the CV balls...is that possible ?

It's not a balance problem.

Are you sure it's in the CV and not the transfer case or even the front diff? Either something went wrong with that new joint or it is somewhere else. You need to safely get it off the ground so you can run it while inspecting closely. Do you know anybody with a lift? It can be done on jack stands but be extremely careful if you do. Do you know anybody with a Chassis Ear?

No I don't, I would have to block it out on jacks and breeze blocks. Not 100% its in the CV joint, I was assuming. But it definitely got worse with the new CV on

It's possible you got a bad joint, but it seems more likely the problem is somewhere else. The turning symptom makes me think front diff.

Back