Replaced missing tailgate trim panel (Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced missing tailgate trim panel (Pics)

02EXPLORERV8

Reaction score
City, State
New York, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
When I bought my Explorer the tailgate trim piece that seems to crack on everyones Ex was completely missing. Previous owner said it just flew off one day.
I found a replacement panel and the Ford nameplate on ebay and installed with 3m double sided tape. Here are a few before/after pics:

photo3_zpsbcc7f518.jpg

photo1_zps3942cf20.jpg

photo2_zpsafd2bb0c.jpg

photo4_zps8cc44d5a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good work man, where did you find the panel at?

I got the panel for $96 and the Ford blue oval for $25 both on eBay. The 3m tape cost about $15 at the local parts store.

RockAuto has them also . They are from Dorman and are available unpainted ($71.89) and painted ($87.79). Only question is the color. Are they painted to the factory colors? They list them as White, Silver, Grey, Blue and Black. You couldn't buy and paint one yourself for this price.

To the OP, how does the color match and does the metallic flakes blend and match the tailgate?

To the OP, how does the color match and does the metallic flakes blend and match the tailgate?

The color looks like a perfect match to me. I can't see a difference between the original paint and the replacement panel.

Back