• Register Today It's free!

Replaced my radiator on an 06 Ex

jay_there84

Reaction score
City, State
el paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
My radiator started leaking from the top on the passenger side. I called several places to get a quote on fixing it but I couldn't afford it. So I decided to do it myself. I bought a new radiator from a local junk yard that sells new and used auto parts for about $110. Then I went to my local Ford dealership and got some gold antifreeze for about $15. I also rented a fan clutch removal tool for $80 (they refunded my money back once I was finished with it). I also bought a tranny line removal tool for $10. It took me about 3 hours but I did it. The hardest part of the whole thing was taking off and putting on the radiator. The side brackets are a pain to align with it. Other than that everything will just bolt off and on. ill add some pics.
IMAG0054.jpg
IMAG0055.jpg
IMAG0056.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Job well done, at a lot less than $800 for dealer to do this on my 2007. They probably have had lots of practice.

Thanks, yeah 800 bucks is what I got quoted too. The dealership people are crazy for charging so much. I can fix anything on the car myself I went to a automotive technical school but since I have 6 daughters it's kinda hard finding the time to do it myself so it's easier for me too take it to the dealer.

I did the job without removing the fan clutch.

9967797uoh.jpg

Damn that must have been tough with the fan still on.

I did it even two times, because at first I tried to get the old radiator repaired.
Leaked again after one day. So I ordered a new one from Rockauto.
Removed also the side brackets from the radiator before pulling it out. So it was no big deal removing the radiator without removing the fan.

9972921inc.jpg

When you replaced it, did you get your tranny fluid topped off? On all the manuals and guides I read it said it would be ok because only a little bit comes out. So far it has been driving great without any issues.

Back