Replaced my Serpentine Belt this weekend | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced my Serpentine Belt this weekend

mikeh

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC V6
Just thought I'd pass along a quick note to people about serpentine belt replacement. My X is a 98 with about 83K. When I pulled the belt off I had a lot of cracks but none that looked like it was about to go. I bought a Motorcraft belt from ford for $27. I previously tried to replace it with belt I bought at Autozone which was about 2 inches too long. I just took it back and bought the belt at Ford. I'm starting to lean more and more to Factory parts the longer I play with this stuff.

What you need:
  1. A 3/8 inch drive socket wrench.
  2. A bar to go over the wrench to get added leverage. (you can also use an extra long socket wrench if you happen to have one).
  3. A new Motorcraft belt $27.
  4. 7 and 8mm sockets.
How to change it:
  1. Remove the cover at the top of the engine. The cover that says SOHC 4.0 on it. 7mm
  2. Remove the Air Tube near the radiator. 8mm socket. This is the tube that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body. Pull out the tubes that go into the Air tube and set the air tube aside.
  3. Now for the fun part. Find the tensioner pulley. It's toward the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. Next to the pulley is a hole that you can stick your 3/8" socket wrench in without a socket. Set the wrench for loosen. Release the tension on the belt and pull the belt off the tensioner.
  4. Fish the whole belt out of the engine compartment and fish the new belt in using the diagram on the hood for guidance.
  5. Now for the fun part. It helps to have a helper at this time to hold the wrench while you get the belt around the last pulley. Also now is a good time to use a cheater bar on your wrench. I did the top passenger side pulley last so that it was right in front of me.
  6. With your eyes make sure that all of the grooves are lined up on the pulleys with the grooves in the belt on every pulley.
  7. Hook the air tube back up and the cover and start the engine. Go to the engine compartment and inspect the belt to make sure it is running cleanly around the pulleys.
  8. You're done go drink a beer. :chug:
A few people have recommended changing the tensioner pulley with the belt. I would suggest this on higher milage explorers. Also throw your old belt in the truck as an emergency replacement if needed.

Good Luck,
mikeh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never thought to go to Ford when I replaced mine (which reminds me it's about time again). I paid about $30 for mine from Checkers. I think I'll send Torrie an e-mail and see what he sells them for. If no savings, then I might just have to pay my Ford parts department a visit. Thanks for the heads up.

How often do you guys recommend replacing it??
Mine was done like 40k ago I think

Thanks
Chris

I just replaced my serpentine with a Ford belt that I ordered from fordpartsnetwork.com for $18.99. I had also ordered some other parts so the freight cost was not really an issue. This replaced a $25 Dayco belt that I had bought at Checker a year ago. This belt had started squeeking almost every time I started my Ex. I noticed that my new belt was much tighter than my old one even taking into account that the old belt might have stretched a bit. In any case the squeek is gone. I'm going to stick to Ford OEM parts in the future. I seem to have fewer problems with form, fit , and function than with non-Ford parts.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the writeup. I am going to mark this thread in the "useful threads forum" because I'm sure there are Newbies that would like to know how to do this.

Fan Belt and Tensioner

I just purchased a '95 Explorer XLT, and need to replace
several items one of which is the serpentine belt.

I bought a belt from a local parts house out where I live. The belt is made by Goodyear so I'm hoping it will
work; note the comments made by you and others regarding non-Ford belts not working satisfactorily.

Anyway my question is you recommend replacing the tensioner on high mileage trucks. Well, my has 100K so
I suspect that's considered high mileage, yes? Also I suspect the reason for the replacement is primarily for added insurance, correct? As far a I can tell mine's not squeking or exhibiting other wear signs. However, as with all things I really prefer to only do a job once.

Thanks in advance
Ron

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Guys!! I need help!! I tried the same thing you guys were telling me and guess what? I loosened the bolt instead of making the tensioner to move so I can't get it to work. What can I do?!?!?!?

You removed the bolt that holds on the tensioner?

The service manual says to just bolt the tensioner on. Torque should be 30-40 ft lbs (or just good and tight if you dont have a torque wrench.)

Turn the tensioner counterclockwise to loosen it to remove the belt. Then install new belt paying attention to the picture on the sticker under the hood. When you have everything threaded, turn the tensioner counterclockwise until you can get the belt over it again, align the belt and release the tensioner.

Thanks very much Dogfriend!! I finally replaced it after some serious thinking. I could turn the bolt loose. That means the tensioner (spring) never moved at all. So since the bolt was loose, I took the opportunity and tried the easy way and got it to work so it's all good. Thanks again!!!

After replacing my tensioner the other day and putting on a new belt, I would like to add that if you have over 100k on your truck get a new tensioner ( the actual plastic pully on mine came off) and when putting the belt on start putting it on the drivers side first and weave it through every thing else leaving your alternator for last. I found this is the easiest way to get it on while needing to move the tensioner. Total time from start to finish was about 20 mins.

Thanks for the write up.

good deal i needed this write up ive had the new belt in my x for about 3 weeks now dreading the day....i'll try tonight i think

inspect your belt if it has many many cracks in it you should replace it asap...there are a couple other things to look for but thats all i can currently remember

To tell if the tensioner pulley needs replaced, just spin the pulley and if you hear and noise from the bearing, you should replace it. You could also drill a hole in the side of the bearing and grease it with a needle point on your grease gun. I had to replace my whole tensioner assembly because it fell apart and wouldn't stay together. I thought it was the tensioner that was making the belt squel but when i put the new one on , i noticed it fit alot better, The old one must have stretched alot.

sould have got a goodyear gatorback, they rule all ;)

Back