Replaced Rotor - Different Diameters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Rotor - Different Diameters

kumaxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Replaced front rotors and pads with Raybestos brand. When installing the second rotor pads I noticed that the outside of the pad is flush with the outside of the rotor. As if this rotor is a smaller diameter. On the other side and on the old rotors their is about an 1/8" gap/space between outside edge of pad and rotor. I did not physically compare the two rotors as the one side was already installed. So, I went ahead and installed what appears to be a smaller diameter rotor rather then put the old parts back on. Has anyone seen this? Is this a problem? These are internet parts so I could not go to a store and trade them. Also, the part numbers on the rotor boxes are the same and correct.

Did you measure the rotors? Wouldn't be the first time wrong part was in the right box. Also, are you sure your calipers and shoes are properly seated on the questionable side?

EE

Pads and calipers are in correctly. Almost impossible to screw that up - they would not go on and bolt in correctly. Nothing to align or anything - snap in pads, bolt on calipers and arm.

Did not measure rotors or compare them. The normal looking side was completely put together with wheel on prior to disassembling the questionable side. ONe thing I did notice was that the Raybestos pads are quite a wider, larger then the old ones I got at Auto Zone. If both sides looked the same, no gap at the outside edge of rotor, I would conclude its the wider pads.

Guess I will call Raybestos and/or the seller of the rotors to see what they say.

Make sure the rotor is seated on the hub all the way and evenly. If not, it'll have this exact look.

Back