replaced sttock heads 91 w 95 heads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replaced sttock heads 91 w 95 heads

bad.shimmy

Reaction score
City, State
auburn wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
Installed some 95 tm heads and also replaced the oil pump with a high volumemelling pump..m328. Makes a valvetrain type noise....my buddy is trying to tell me its a knock....but its too fast to be a knock.....i didnt do the 410. Cam yet.....would it ping like a ***** without the cam...because of the raise in compression? Also im running the highest octane gas we have out here. 92 octane I believe. Any idears? Thanks fellas....oh and alwo. U can get the pan oit with removing the motor;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my buddy is trying to tell me its a knock....but its too fast to be a knock.

Valvetrain noises occur at one half the speed of the crank, so they'd be slower than a block noise.

That said, excessive valve lash could be making some noise if it's not set right.

If I were you I would get an automotive stethoscope and listen for exactly where the noise is coming from.

Did you reuse your lifters,pushrods and rockers?do you have oil pressure?if it is a spark knock which it shouldn't be but you can remove the octang bar in the plug next to the main fuse box and it will take timing out and the "spark knock"would stop.also i take it you reset the ecm .

yep

oil pressure checked out to spec...just put in that oil pump....i listened around but had a hard time figuring out what im listening for....didnt hear much on the bottom end......seemed as if i heard noise on top.....also the noise doesnt really happen until the truck is fully warmed up.....and i already shorted the octane spout....noise stayed the same....;)

thanks for the help guys:)

i need to use the stethoscope when i can have a helper there to rev the motor....

i guess i musta read wrong....i thought the valve noises were twice as fast as the crank noises?

and i already shorted the octane spout....noise stayed the same....;)

Well, the plug in the SPOUT connector (aka shorting plug) is supposed to be there - it completes the circuit. Removing it would open the circuit, which would retard timing. Do you mean you tried removing the plug?

i need to use the stethoscope when i can have a helper there to rev the motor....

If you remove the throttle body cover, you can actuate the throttle butterfly by hand while you're under the hood.

i guess i musta read wrong....i thought the valve noises were twice as fast as the crank noises?

Yep... camshaft speed is one half of crank speed.

"Well, the plug in the SPOUT connector (aka shorting plug) is supposed to be there - it completes the circuit. Removing it would open the circuit, which would retard timing. Do you mean you tried removing the plug?"

i did remove the plug i just said it wrong thanks for correcting me:p

"If you remove the throttle body cover, you can actuate the throttle butterfly by hand while you're under the hood.:

if im under the motor listening to the oil pan i cant really rev it can i?:)

so anyway......i read somewhere about the noise getting louder when the engine was warm being some bearing in the bottom of the motor? is that correct...

Did you reuse your lifters,pushrods and rockers?do you have oil pressure?if it is a spark knock witch it shouldn't be but you can remove the octang bar in the plug next to the main fuse box and it will take timing out and the "spark knock"would stop.also i take it you reset the ecm .

How about the rest of the questions asked here^^^^^^ im willing to bet you didnt replace or clean any of it so its valve train noise.as the motor warms you lose oil pressure witch makes valve train more noticeable .why did you replace the oil pump in the first place?

gambling is bad for u

All new upper end parts....replaced the pump as the i had the pan off and the pickup was clogged...put in the new melling pump....nice of you to assume things;). Ass.

All new upper end parts....replaced the pump as the i had the pan off and the pickup was clogged...put in the new melling pump....nice of you to assume things;). Ass.

I assumed because liters are over $300+ rockers +pushrods+headss and most people won't drop $800ish on all that without rebuilding the motor.which rockers, lifters and heads did you use?

Nos 95 heads. Smith brother pushrods sealed power rockers

Nos 95 heads. Smith brother pushrods sealed power rockers

Who made the heads?and what size pushrods did you use?did you disassemble and clean your lifters ?no cam right?

Not to be an ass, but...

It's which one (choice)

The wicked witch (person)

I can't help it. My mother was an English teacher, so is my wife.

Not to be an ass, but...

It's which one (choice)

I hear you.my spelling and grammar is horrible.

fixed them for you;)

I hear you.my spelling is horrible......but didnt know we was in a spelling bee either.<<is that the right word¿

We was in a spelling bee? And your question mark is upside down. F-

:D

We was in a spelling bee? And your question mark is upside down. F-

:D

Considering my native language is jibberish ,im surprised you all even understand me.but yea i get called out ALL the time for wrong words and spelling:(

Considering my native language is jibberish ,im surprised you all even understand me.but yea i get called out ALL the time for wrong words and spelling:(

Aw, you know we're just ribbing you. Nobody here means anything bad by it. Even though you do project an air of superiority sometimes ;)

Back on topic, bad.shimmy, have you verified oil pressure is good with a real gauge? The stock gauge will only show low pressure if it's at 5psi or below. Also, any luck identifying exactly where the noise is coming from? Do any of the spark plugs show evidence of detonation?

Not to be an ass, but...

It's which one (choice)

Not to be an ass but

Floppy "DISK"-a computer item
"DISC" brakes-part on a car/truck

what type of brake swap do you have?
check your signature ;)

Not to be an ass but

Floppy "DISK"-a computer item
"DISC" breaks-part on a car/truck

what type of brake swap do you have?
check your signature ;)

Actually, disc and disk are the same meaning from the latin discus (a flat cylinder), and using "disk" to refer to brakes is uncommon but not necessarily incorrect. See US Patents US 2405219, US 2466990, and US 2375855 for automotive disk brakes.

Actually, disc and disk are the same meaning from the latin discus (a flat cylinder), and using "disk" to refer to brakes is uncommon but not necessarily incorrect. See US Patents US 2405219, US 2466990, and US 2375855 for automotive disk brakes.

Yea i know you can use both,the word disc is used way more for brakes though.just busting his balls;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

arco777 said:

WTF? I'm not sure if I should be impressed by the fact that you know that or just plain worried about your mental state.

Back