Replaced water pump, still squeaking. Water Pump Pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced water pump, still squeaking. Water Pump Pulley?

358R

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson/Aiken, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mounty 5.0
So, the water pump has been replaced with all new parts except the pulley. Is it possible that's what's causing the squeaking? I thought it just bolted on to the water pump with the 4 bolts or whatever. Should I look else where? I put a stethoscope on the pump and I can't hear it grinding or making noises like before the pump was replaced. Sound still seems to be coming from that area. Also, I've replaced tensioner pulley and upper idler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just saying - I see you have a 5.0

Now on a 4.0 OHV loud "squeaking" under the hood is a characteristic of the drive shaft within camshaft position sensor, which is located at the back of the engine, below the intake manifold.

The drive shaft gets gummed up with "splash" oil, creates a thick varnish between the drive shaft and synchronizer body, and starts to "squeak" pretty loud before total catastrophic failure.

I've attached a link which shows the position of the Chamshaft Position Sensor on 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 engines. Hope that helps!

Link: Ford 3.0L, 4.0L, and 5.0L Camshaft Position Sensor

Remove the belt then start the engine to see if it is still squeaking. Could be the Camshaft position sensor making the noise. You might have to wait for cool down for the noise to return.

Another thing to consider. I had a new, less than 500 miles on it belt develop a squeak. Try spraying water on the belt while it is squeaking to see if the sound changes or goes away. If it does, replace the belt. Good luck, I hope it is the belt.

Squeaking starts usually a few seconds after starting. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it stays the whole drive. It's definitely louder initially on cold mornings. After driving for a minute or so, it seems to become very defined time-wise. And by that I mean as I speed up and slow down, so does the frequency of the squeak.

Remove the belt then start the engine to see if it is still squeaking. Could be the Camshaft position sensor making the noise. You might have to wait for cool down for the noise to return.

Another thing to consider. I had a new, less than 500 miles on it belt develop a squeak. Try spraying water on the belt while it is squeaking to see if the sound changes or goes away. If it does, replace the belt. Good luck, I hope it is the belt.

I was just adding information to my case in the event it meant something else. I admire your persistence though ;).

Did the squeak start before or after the work was done?

How old is the belt? I replaced mine with one that was listed as compatible on amazon.com. About 3-5k later, it started to chirp/squeak on cold startup. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. It started squealing more and more often, even on hot days. Finally, I put the old belt back on, and that cured the squeak. I googled the part numbers and sure enough...the old, non-squeak belt was something like 1/2" shorter than the new, squeaking belt. I bought a Goodyear Gatorback belt at the shorter length, and the squeak hasn't been back in a year.

If you replaced yours recently, you might check the listed length for the part number vs spec.

If you have an old belt that may have stretched, you might try a new belt (Gatorbacks are good because the squeal could be from a very slight pulley misalignment, and Gatorbacks are designed to compensate).

How old is the belt? I replaced mine with one that was listed as compatible on amazon.com. About 3-5k later, it started to chirp/squeak on cold startup. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. It started squealing more and more often, even on hot days. Finally, I put the old belt back on, and that cured the squeak. I googled the part numbers and sure enough...the old, non-squeak belt was something like 1/2" shorter than the new, squeaking belt. I bought a Goodyear Gatorback belt at the shorter length, and the squeak hasn't been back in a year.

If you replaced yours recently, you might check the listed length for the part number vs spec.

If you have an old belt that may have stretched, you might try a new belt (Gatorbacks are good because the squeal could be from a very slight pulley misalignment, and Gatorbacks are designed to compensate).
Yea, i replaced about a year ago. I have an extra Gates one laying around. I'll give it a shot.

Wondering what cured this?
I have terrible belt squeal right now.
Everything in the FEAD is new except the A/C compressor and crank pulley. Had some belt squeal before but it was intermittent. This is constant, not too bad at idle but terrible when on the gas. I got the A/C delete belt and it’s a little better but it’s still there.
Tensioner and idler are new and of the same type as the old ones.
Belt is routed same way as diagram under hood.

Any advice would be great, the noise is super aggravating

On the 5.0L the cam synchronizer can develop a "chirp" Removing the position sensor and adding a few drops of ATF around the shaft cured my chirp. That was probably 3 years ago and it's still quite.

Another 5.0L squeak at startup turned out to be the serpentine belt, which wasn't that old, but a new one solved the problem. All my pulleys had been replaced already and still felt good.

I just replaced the cam synchro last week

I just replaced the cam synchro last week

Have you removed the belt and run the engine to see the noise goes away? While your at it spin all the pulleys by hand and see how they feel. If they seem a little dry and kind of rattly replace them. They should feel smooth and quiet.

everything has already been replaced, doesn’t make the noise without belt.
Does it with new belts as well

Mine is still chirping intermittently at startup and sometimes at idle. Fairly confident it's the cam synchro. Replaced the belt and water pump and the sound remains. I think I will get it replaced soon when I have time.

I still have to check more stuff but it’s possible the P/S pump pulley is out of alignment

My "squeak" was the cam position sensor. I first thought it was the idler pulley, then tensioner pulley, and tensioner. It was frustrating trying to pin down the location.

99 5.0, 249K , Original Owner

As an update to my squeak:

Put another new P/S pump in it with a new pulley. Used the bolt nut and washer that came with the pump to install the pulley. Warmed pulley in oven, was finally able to get it flush with the shaft and the squeak finally went away.
I read that getting the pulley flush was not critical, but in my case it totally was.
Figured i’d Post this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back