• Register Today It's free!

Replaced water pump

katsov

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington Park, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 EB Explorer
Just replaced water pump on my 2006 V6. Pretty straightforward, just needed to rent a fan clutch wrench and pully wrench from autozone. Took about 3 hours, let me know if anyone has questions about how to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand of water pump did you use? Just curious, did your water pump start to weep or develop play in the bearing?

To add to 08Eddie's question - what's your mileage? It's good to get a feeling for when they fail - they obviously don't all fail at the same mileage but it helps to get some benchmarks.
Thanks.

Is it acceptable to replace the front cassette, tensioner, (and rear tensioner), along with the balance shaft tensioner - leavening the rear chain unchanged? I've read varying opinions on this topic.

What mileage did you change your pump at?
Just replaced water pump on my 2006 V6. Pretty straightforward, just needed to rent a fan clutch wrench and pully wrench from autozone. Took about 3 hours, let me know if anyone has questions about how to do it.

Brooklyn Bay -

you realize that changing the rear timing components is whole different ball game :)
Doing the water pump is withing reach of most of us here, doing the complete timing job on 4.0 SOHC is just a little more advanced.

I understand. I saw a thread a while back about one member replacing it while the engine was still in the vehicle. I didn't think that it would be possible since there's so little room back there but somebody managed to do it.

I replaced the pump with AC delco 252-544 from amazon for $50. The truck is at 170k miles. Prior to this though, I also replaced the thermostat housing which developed a leak at the seal. I was going through a jug of coolant every 3 weeks, but couldn't identify the pump 100% until after I replaced it. There was coolant everywhere in the underside of the engine.

Back