Replaced Wheel Bearing Still Noisy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Wheel Bearing Still Noisy

short1

Reaction score
City, State
Kenosha, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
I've had the wheel bearing hum for a while now, i figured it's the drivers side since when I turn right it gets louder compared to when I turn left. So I finally replaced the drivers side this past weekend. The humming is still there, hasn't changed. So could it actually be the passenger side humming? I thought that if it was loud turning right it was the left side, and the right side if turning left. New tires installed last week, so i'm pretty sure it's not them. Thanks for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your vehicle a 4x4?

I have a 4x4 where I replaced both frot wheel hub bearings. Still had noise and replaced RR axle bearing. Still heard noise. Had to overhaul the front diff. New carrier and pinion bearings.

All quiet now.

Might not be your bearings. See if you can pull your tire back and forth to see if its loose. Have you checked to see if your lower ball joints are tight? Mine hummed like that when the nut on the ball joint was loose

I had a humming, thought it was left front, brought it in. They said it was right rear and replaced it. Noise decreased, but now can hear the left front even better. Getting it replaced on Monday.

Well it is 4x4 but hopefully I dont have the same problem as you SBV45! I did check for play on the balljoints when I had it jacked up, the drivers side lower does have a little play but passenger side is tight. I didnt think to check for play on the pass. side wheel when it was up :-/ I guess that will be my next step. I was talking to the wife (she's the main driver of it) and she said she noticed it doesnt make any noise when turning left now, but did make a slight whirring before, so maybe they were both going. About to hit 100k I would think these parts would last longer than that! Maybe ill get a chance tonight to get it in the air and check, if I do I'll let you know what I find. On a related topic, what brand balljoints are recommended? Moog or motorcraft? Thanks again!

The humming sound can echo. I thought my passenger side was bad but it was actually the drivers side. So i ended up replacing both side and the hum went away.

From my experience, I think you got it backwards. When I've had them going out before, it gets louder when I'm turning "in" to the bad wheel. It loads up the outside wheel more in that way. So, if it gets noiser when you're turning left, that'd be the passenger side that's hosed. That's been my past experience anyhow.

From my experience, I think you got it backwards. When I've had them going out before, it gets louder when I'm turning "in" to the bad wheel. It loads up the outside wheel more in that way. So, if it gets noiser when you're turning left, that'd be the passenger side that's hosed. That's been my past experience anyhow.

I think you are both saying the same thing and it sounds right to me.

When turning, the most load is on the front axle however the rear axle is affected too. As others have noted the problem may be in the rear axle. So perhaps the problem is with the driver's side rear.

Good luck.

Is your vehicle a 4x4?

I have a 4x4 where I replaced both frot wheel hub bearings. Still had noise and replaced RR axle bearing. Still heard noise. Had to overhaul the front diff. New carrier and pinion bearings.

All quiet now.

Steve:

Did you do the overhaul yourself or did you have it done? What was the cost? I wonder if it is just easier to replace the differential and send it in for the core fee.

I just changed my front bearing hub today, but the noise it still there.

I had the front diff pulled and sent it to Inland Truck/Austin Drivetrain. The front diff overhaul cost almost $1000 and the labor to pull, ship and replace the diff cost $500. It was 7 hours labor to do the work.
All is quiet and smooth now. 10 years ago, I would have pulled the diff myself but getting old isn''t for sissies.

OK Riddle me this.....This is kinda strange, but might highlight my lack of understanding for how these things work. So the harmonic noise was there all day, and I was thinking about the differential thing. So tonight, I wanted to see what would happen if I engaged the 4X4, and assumingly put power to the differential? Well, the noise went away, and then when I took it out, the noise seemed to stay away. What's the deal with that!!???!

OK Riddle me this.....This is kinda strange, but might highlight my lack of understanding for how these things work. So the harmonic noise was there all day, and I was thinking about the differential thing. So tonight, I wanted to see what would happen if I engaged the 4X4, and assumingly put power to the differential? Well, the noise went away, and then when I took it out, the noise seemed to stay away. What's the deal with that!!???!

You probably don't have a problem with the front differential. Since all the 4 wheel drive Explorers from 2006 have the front differential engaged all the time.

The 2 speed transfer case (that you seem to have) includes a clutch with the planetary gear differential. When you select the 4x4 mode on the 2 speed transfer case the clutch is locked, and the front and rear axles are driven at the same speed. When the auto mode is selected afterward the clutch is released and allows a variable torque output to the front axle differential depending on available traction.

I don't know why your actions would cause the noise to go away, but I would check the oil level and condition in the transfer case as a precaution. There is a drain plug and a separate fill plug. It takes about a quart and a half of Mercon trans fluid that is now superceded by Mercon V.

Good luck.

Awww, Town, youe were just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.

I couldn't find the Xfer case fluid anywhere locally except the Ford dealer. It cost 9.50 a quart. Good thing it only takes 1.5 qt.

Just wanted to update my situation. Been sick for two weeks with that flu/sinus crap going around. Finally got it in the air today and it's the rear drivers side. The other 3 wheels are tight but this one has some play. Is the replacement of the rear pretty much the same as the front? I've read you need to have the bearing pressed on/off, but autozone has it listed as timken bearing/hub assembly. Makes me think it comes as a single unit. As always any input is appreciated!

The backs you can buy it either way - as a bearing by itself, or as a hub assembly. Most guys buy the bearing and press the old one out and the new one in - or have someone do the pressing.

My right rear was replaced as a single bearing and had it pressed by a shop. It was quick and fairly inexpensive.

Yea, I see autozone also has the bearing only for about $80. I pulled the rear hub/spindle off yesterday, all I can say is what a pain in the ASS! Didn't expect to have to pull the trailing arm off with it. Gonna bring it to a machine shop to get it pressed on/off, hopefully this will quiet things up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your vehicle a 4x4?

All quiet now.

How many miles did you have on your Explorer???

Back