Solved - Replaced worn out fuel pump, still wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Replaced worn out fuel pump, still wont start

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

AwwPhooey

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Hey Folks-

Could use a little guidance on my problem. I have an '01 XLT, bought it new and it's been a trooper, has 350K on it and still runs pretty strong- except for today.

Getting ready to leave the ballpark after my son's tourney [ he went 2 for 3 and caught entire game with no passed balls ;D ], got in and it turned over plenty strong but wouldn't start. There hasn't been a lead up to this, it just happened all at once.

Had about 1/3 tank gas, so no issues there. Checked all micro fuses in cab and nothing blown. Had my son turn the key so I could listen for the fuel pump whir, and didn't hear anything, so thought ok, possibly fuel pump (it is the original and all). I moved the relays under the hood all around just to see if that'd make a difference, and it didn't. Checked the inertia switch, and the button wasn't tripped. I pushed the Schrader valve in and a little dribble came out then nothing.

So, had it towed home, spent the day dropping the tank, replacing the old fuel pump with new, and bolting tank back in, turned key and...... nothing. turns over and over and over, but nothing. Difference now is I can hear the whir of the pump when turning the key, so I know fuel pump was originally part of problem, and when pressing Schrader valve, fuel sprays out now, so I'm pretty sure i'm getting good pressure. I do have a pressure gauge to get exact reading, but the battery is starting to run down, so I can't turn it over tonight to check psi (garage space is tight, cant pull my other car in to jump the battery). I changed the fuel filter 2 years (50K miles ago). Obviously, that would be an easy fix, just ran out of time tonight.

What other things should I be thinking about now?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. :)

Phoo

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried spraying starting fluid in the T/B? If it fires, then there's still a fuel problem. If not there's a spark or timing problem. Is it a SOHC?

It is SOHC, and I did not think to spray starting fluid in the TB. I will go out and get some right now, then give it a try.

It is SOHC, and I did not think to spray starting fluid in the TB. I will go out and get some right now, then give it a try.

With that many miles on a SOHC, I just hope it hasn't jumped time.

Ok, sprayed starting fluid into TB and it starts upm but only while spraying. It dies right after. so still a fuel issue? I did hook up pressure gauge and it's over 30psi. If my fuel filter was clogged, wouldn't that keep me from having gas spraying out of schrader and good pressure? I know, that's a simple fix. I didn't think about it right off, because when I didn't hear the fuel pump whir, and I changed all of the relays around with no effect, I just went straight to changing pump.

BUT, changing the fuel pump did fix one problem, as I can hear the whir and there is definitely good pressure in the line. What else can I troubleshoot?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

P

Last edited:

Fuel filter clogged I bet. You should have around 65psi for fuel pressure and if your fuel pump has just been replaced it has to be clogged fuel filter. I would start from there. You can still get gas pas a clogged filter just as not as much as should be

Did you not replace the fuel filter? The fuel pump instructions tell you that you must do this to keep your warrantee. You should be seeing 65-67 PSI of fuel pressure on an '01. You're reporting not even 1/2 of that. If it's running while you spray the starting fluid your problem is the engine isn't getting fuel. Look no further.

A clogged fuel filter will eventually kill a fuel pump. Ford recommends you change the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. If you've never changed one, you'll have fun getting the old one off. The trick I that the lines must be able to press on to the filter a little bit in order to get the clips to release using the disconnect tool. If you can't get the lines to move you'll never get the filter off.

Did you replace just the pump or the whole fuel pump assembly? On the '01 the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel tank and dumps excess pressure back into the tank.

Last edited:

If you are getting only 30 psig with the engine not running and the key on, I doubt it is the fuel filter. Even with the filter partially plugged you should get 65 psig when you have no flow when the engine is not running. My guess is the wrong fuel pump, bad fuel pump or leaking connections on the new fuel pump in the fuel tank.

Thanks everyone for taking the time.

Koda, indeed I've changed filters out a plenty through the years. Of the time I spent yesterday dropping the tank, replacing the pump, and strapping the tank back up, a full third of that was spent struggling to get that fuel line disconnected from the old pump! I shouldn't have been too surprised, as it is the original pump and all and was stuck on there pretty good. And yes, I did change out the complete pump assemby.

When the truck wouldn't turn originally, I thought fuel filter for a split second, nixed the thought because I just changed it a year ago, and since I wasn't hearing the pump engage that's right where my mind went. But, since it's a simple fix, I went out this morning and grabbed a new one from NAPA, put it in and didn't make a difference. Turns over but wont catch.

Clarification on the pressure- thanks for the info, I misread one of the posts here on using a pressure gauge. The poster was talking about fuel pressure at idle being 30-45psi. I missed the idle part. I do believe I'm getting more than 30psi though, as while I'm turning the engine over it's recording 30psi while also having a small leak at the fitting. I'll pick up a better quality gauge on my way home tonight and check again.

So for recap:
Truck turns over but wont start.
- Turned key and listened for fuel pump whir, heard none
- Mixed and matched relays under hood, no effect
- Checked all fuses in cab, all integral
- Changed out fuel pump assembly, no effect (seems to be the correct pump Crunchie)
- Changed fuel filter, no effect
- Screwed pressure gauge onto schrader valve, while turning truck over get 30psi with small leak at fitting connection (will try with different gauge tonight)
- Sprayed starting fluid into TB, catches for a moment but then dies.

Assuming I am getting the correct amount of pressure in the fuel line, what else should I be looking for? Does the post about the crankshaft position sensor above sound plausible to you folks? So frustrating, my '03 Mustang is parked as it needs a timing chain, so we are down to one car... :(

Thank you again everyone!

With the key on , you should get 65 psig, not 30, even with a small leak.

350k on a 01. Original fuel tank? That's why your filter and pump keeps getting clogged/messed up. Plus 50k on last time fuel filter was replaced?. Change your fuel filter then see. But I bet your tank has to be replaced also.

Thanks for the info crunchie. I hear you. I'll try with a new gauge just to be sure though. It's a harbor freight gauge, which in itself HF stuff is always a crapshoot.

Jus, I'm not sure what you mean by "Plus 50k on last time fuel filter was replaced". I replaced it last year, maybe 20K ago tops. But did go ahead and change it out this morning just to be sure. Yes, it is the original tank, and I don't have a problem getting a new one (or dropping it again and cleaning it out), but are you saying the new pump would automatically fail to deliver fuel because of that?

Go easy on me guys, I've done well enough on my own such that I've kept my Explorer and Ranger going past 350K, but a lot of this stuff I learn as I go with help from you folks. :D

Had same problem; changed pump still got only 17 psi. Took down the tank (again) and put the gauge directly on the output pipe. Still only 17 psi. I extracted all the bolts holding the pump assembly and fed 12 V to the black and red wires in the harness. With a flashlight peering in, I lifted the assembly just enough to see the top of the actual pump and I saw that the regulator was spewing fuel from fatigue cracks all over the black plastic housing. (This can be very dangerous especially if you're a smoker, duh) Voila I found the problem. Now how can I get a regulator without buying the whole assembly? I don't need a pump. Maybe I'll just go to a pull-it yard and look for pump or regulator that's easy to extract.

Thanks for that Mac. Going back to NAPA to get another pump, will pay a little extra to get OEM, which I didn't the first time. Keep you posted

Update

Ok, so it turns out NAPA sold me a bum pump. I returned it and the counter guy said "I'm not sure why NAPA still carries this line of pump" (brand was Airtex). He mentioned that O'Reilly stopped carrying them and he thought Autozone had also. It sounds like they are notorious for having issues. I have no idea myself, just passing on what I was told.

So that being said, exchanged it for a Delphi and now truck runs like a champ.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Phoo

Good to know regarding avoiding Airtex. Noticed Rockauto still carries them.

Ok, so it turns out NAPA sold me a bum pump. I returned it and the counter guy said "I'm not sure why NAPA still carries this line of pump" (brand was Airtex). He mentioned that O'Reilly stopped carrying them and he thought Autozone had also. It sounds like they are notorious for having issues. I have no idea myself, just passing on what I was told.

So that being said, exchanged it for a Delphi and now truck runs like a champ.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Phoo

Yeah, Aixtex pumps suck. I usually warn people, who ask, away from AirTex. I'd put one in one of my 2000 Mountaineer 5.0's and it didn't even last 2 years/15,000 miles before it left my daughter's truck dead at the end of my driveway. Now I use Bosch fuel pumps exclusively. I usually get them off eBay for under $60.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sound like my problem on my 1997 XLT 5.0 AWD. No fuel pump sound, no fuel at Schrader valve, and no fuel when take the line off at filter. It runs when starting fluid is sprayed in the throttle body.

The previous owner had cut a hole in floor board... so take out back seats and roll carpet back, then swing open the hatch. Easy Right? Except for the fittings. Did I say I hate those fittings? Get them off and have to move the vehicle. Turn on the key and smell fuel. The pump is spraying fuel out! But it is weak and barely off the pump bracket. Disconnect the electrical lines and move the car to get the trailer out of the driveway.

Researching and believe I have a weak pump. O'Reilly Auto has a MasterPro Fuel Pump, Part # MPE16006 with a one year warranty that is about half the price of the Delphi (that is a special order) with the same warranty.
Have to wait til payday (end of the month) so no rush. Any experience with the MasterPro Pumps?

Back