Solved - Replaced worn out fuel pump, still wont start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Replaced worn out fuel pump, still wont start

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Sound like my problem on my 1997 XLT 5.0 AWD. No fuel pump sound, no fuel at Schrader valve, and no fuel when take the line off at filter. It runs when starting fluid is sprayed in the throttle body.

The previous owner had cut a hole in floor board... so take out back seats and roll carpet back, then swing open the hatch. Easy Right? Except for the fittings. Did I say I hate those fittings? Get them off and have to move the vehicle. Turn on the key and smell fuel. The pump is spraying fuel out! But it is weak and barely off the pump bracket. Disconnect the electrical lines and move the car to get the trailer out of the driveway.

Researching and believe I have a weak pump. O'Reilly Auto has a MasterPro Fuel Pump, Part # MPE16006 with a one year warranty that is about half the price of the Delphi (that is a special order) with the same warranty.
Have to wait til payday (end of the month) so no rush. Any experience with the MasterPro Pumps?
never tried masterpro. have you tried bosch? those pretty good imo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last edited:

I am using a 1Aauto TRQ pump and assembly and it has been great for me also lifetime warranty and replacement

Anybody have experience with FitRight Auto Parts?
I could not find Bosch on eBay or RA, but did find this with a stated 10-year warranty - Thoughts?
Fuel Pump Sending Unit Assembly Electric For 1997-1998 Ford Explorer F7PZ9H307BE | eBay

BOSCH PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airtex, duralast, master pro, all garbage
How many times do you want to change your pump?
Every 200-300K miles like factory?
Then USE A BOSCH

I replace several fuel pumps a year, I'm the guy who helps drop the tanks and install them......... I will only install Bosch into a factory truck

WITH a new strainer and a NEW filter EVERY TIME

cheap pumps are CRAP!!!!!!!

the spring lock fittings can be a PITA, but there are steps you can take to help them release much easier.
First clean them out with compressed air, next spray them clean inside with brake clean, then finally a blast of PB blaster to lube things up.
Press the fittings together, then insert the tool, then pull apart.....much like a Chinese finger puzzle

Back