Replacement blend door actuator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement blend door actuator

marvrulz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hello. I have a 2000 Explorer, V8 2WD Eddie Bauer edition. I need to replace the ventilation blend door actuator. The one that I removed is part # F87H-19E616-AB. I am having a hard time finding that specific part number anywhere on the web and the Dorman and Standard Motor replacement ones that I find that look like mine say that they are either for manual control (mine is an automatic control) or rear applications (mine has rear controls, but this actuator is in the front), or they have a different shaft (mine has a D shaped shaft with a hole down the center). To top all of this off, A factory repair manual that I have access to says that the part number is 19E616, which the Dorman website pulls back as a part # 604-203, which looks like mine but does not list Explorers in the application list. Can someone please explain if there is a difference between the manual control and rear ones and mine, or even better can someone give me Dorman or Standard Motor part numbers? I want to order the part from the web to dave some money, but don't want to get a part that won't work. I appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried rockauto.com? your should be the same as on my 98 eddie with auto controls

You need an actuator that looks just like yours and it MUST be for the automatic HVAC controls. Try Tasca Ford (1-800-598-1484) and have your VIN number handy when you call.

The manual and automatic actuators look the same on the outside, but they are totally different on the inside.

I checked RockAuto and I do not see your actuator listed.

Man, too bad. I have a Dorman 604-202 Blend Door Actuator and a 902-221 Blend Door brand new still in the box that I never used. Unfortunately, these are for the manual controls.

Thank you morbid81 for the tip about rockauto.com. I'm going to try to call them and see if they can get me hooked up over the phone since it is not listed on their website. Either way, I was not familiar with them and will definitely use them in the future.

Thank you koda2000 for clarifying that there are differences inside. Just my luck that I seem to have the oddball part. I'll also check with Tasca.

I appreciate your quick responses.

Update

After weeks if trying to nail down the part I need with no luck, I contacted Ford directly and was directed to part # YH1761. This apparently is the Motorcraft number for the front blend door actuator for 2000 5.0L EB models with Automatic controls. I also figured out that this part comes with an adapter which allows it to mount to two different style plemums which were apparently used in the 2000 model year. This is part of why I was having difficulty, because the style for the plenum that I don't have kept coming up as a replacement aftermarket part. Anyway, the local dealership wanted $96.46 for it, but I ended up getting it for $34.88 from Rockauto.com. Thanks again for pointing me to them. Fingers crossed that the part is actually the one that I need.

Further diagnosis needed

The new actuator arrived today and I installed it. I am still having the same problem that I initially had, which is the actuator is not moving the baffle (blend door), so I get hot air through the vents all of the time. I know that my old actuator was bad because I broke a gear inside it while troubleshooting it in the first place, but I never determined for a fact that it was the root of my problem. The baffle moves freely when the actuator is not installed, so I am now to tracing electrical problems. Does anyone know what I should see at the connector pins besides 5v at the light green/orange wire (pin 6) and ground at the orange/black wire (pin 5)? Also, does anyone know any other common causes of this? I am really hoping that my EATC is not bad.

Does the actuator move when you change the temp setting on the EATC? IE, if you just plug the actuator into the socket, but don't install it, does it turn on command?

Hello and happy new year. It does not. The vacuum control motors open and close when I change the temperature settings, but the blend door actuator does not move.

OK, so I finally tackled this issue today, now that the weather is getting warmer, and resolved it by pulling the wires out of the blend door actuator wiring harness, tightening up the connectors and putting them back into the harness. I came to this idea after I ran the EATC diagnostic (as described in other posts on this site) which made the actuator rotated during the test (so I knew that it was working!) and returned codes 24 and 25. When I first removed the wires from the harness, I put them individually on the actuator pins (carefully and with electrical tape in between them so that they didn't touch each other). It still didn't work when I did that, but EATC diagnostic came back with just code 25, which is an intermittent code (or historical code as I tend to think of them), so I cleared out all of the codes, put the harness back together, connected it all up, and it worked. Somehow one of the connectors was either not making contact with a pin or in some way shorting through the plastic harness. Regardless, my final run of the EATC diagnostic came back clear, and the actuator is now working. There are a lot of great posts about this general issue here, but none of them mentioned messing with the wires in the harness. Maybe it is not a common source of the problem, but it seems to have worked for me. :thumbsup: Time will tell if it is a long term fix or not.

so, I am looking into a periodic issue with my blend door actuator / blend door noise of repeatedly thumping. I found this thread.

So I don't have the same issue outline at what started this thread, i.e. only hot ventilation being sent out.

Periodically when I turn things on, mostly to max AC at 60' on the EATC, I get a thumping. It may last a few minutes. Sure a very limited of times of trying to get 60 Max, I get warm air.

The EATC give me codes 24 and 25.

So I took out the actuator to try and see how it turned, but when I did, it did not turn its armature. Plugged back in and now the EATC self diagnostics will not run... i.e. no lights to indicate that it is starting. even unplugged, its not running through self test.

When I ran the SUV with the actuator out, I got good cold air on Max 60 and then at 90 defrost I got warm/hotter air.

So I am not real overly familiar with what is all going on with the EATC system, but it seems that the top actuator is not the only thing that is moving that temperature blend door.

What else is?
Is there a vacuum based positioning for the door?

or is the idea of a vacuum device moving the blend door wrong? and that I get cold and hot air just because the heater control valve is closed at a 60' setting?

If I only care about either 60' MAX AC and 90' floor / defrost, do I even need that top actuator there?

I opened up the actuator and found the middle (small) plastic gear missing 2 splines. I found both splines in the grease. I damaged the down post on the largest 1/4 gear so it looks like I either replace or try to find a good one at the junk yard. thoughts?

Back