Replacement Console for 2002 Explorer Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Console for 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

namalinowski

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys, first post here!

I really want to replace that ugly console bag in my truck and was wondering if anyone had any luck finding a good console to replace it. I've been researching for a week now and found nothing that seemed right.

Thanks

Nick
2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

www.mysporttrac.com check the projects section on the left side bar then search the interior section for high end conversion

What's wrong with yours? So we know what piece you need.

honestly green it sounds like he hates the bag console like the majority of us on this site do

honestly green it sounds like he hates the bag console like the majority of us on this site do
The bag console's OK until you put some weight on the "diving board" armrest, then it turns into a POS. Snap! :eek:

Hell I wish I had at least a bag instead of a big hole of wasted space. I'm making a console like what Breeze did though

I don't know what you are refering too as a bag. I have a center console with a lid thing is this what you mean?

Then you must have a full length console. Short consoles were bag consoles.

ExplorerBroncoIIarmrest2.jpg

Felt so humiliated when a beautiful chick said, "what a cute bag". :mattmoon:

The bag was gone when I bought my truck, so I got a clear plastic bin at WalMart that fits pretty well. Of course it doesn't follow the contour of the space, but it no doubt works and looks at least as well as the bag.

Wow didn't know they made ones like that its soooo ulgy I completely understand why the desire to switch. Do those bag ones still have the heater controls and such?

Wow didn't know they made ones like that its soooo ulgy I completely understand why the desire to switch. Do those bag ones still have the heater controls and such?

For the rear? No, they just had cupholders. My XLT has the short console, I think for the 05 only the XLT Premium and Adrenalin had the full consoles

yes when i bought mine both the xlt and xls had short consoles. its a premium/adrenalin option

I've been trying to hunt down a full-length console for a while, but no luck. :(

Are there any other full-length options other than another Sport Trac or a 99-01 Sport?

before i deployed i planed to adapt a 2nd gen explorer full length to fit

The tricky part is finding one from a 2nd Gen Explorer that has a good lid. There are quite a few Explorers in the salvage yard here in Des Moines, but the upholstery on the lid is trashed on most of them. I haven't really looked at whether the hinges are broken. Didn't figure it mattered if the outside was trash.

And no, the full console doesn't have to come from another Sport Trac or Sport. The 2nd Gen Explorers and Mountaineers all work, but there are different options. I assume the 1st Gen Explorers and even the '89-90 Bronco IIs will work if you get all the mounting brackets and hardware, but they used cloth (or leather) on the arm rest.

yes the shorty style from gen1 sploders work and fit almost exactly the same as the stock trac shorty. only difference is the gen1 has a locking lid/rest and side by side cup holders vs. the bag and inline holders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The thread that's on mysporttrac that talks about switching out the bag is probably the best one. It shows a few different combinations you can use, basically any of the consoles used throughout the years.

Back