replacement for broken ABS sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacement for broken ABS sensor

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
I managed to break off my front passenger ABS sensor inside the wheel hub. I can get a new sensor but there is, as usual, a wide price range for the replacements.

SKP SK970264 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor ($11)
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS ALS506 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor ($24)
NTK AB1747 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor ($77)
MOTORCRAFT BRAB115 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor ($97)

I am concerned about being able to get the broken part out of the hub. It's just a piece of plastic, so I think I could just drill it out but I'm not sure. I'm not sure how I would know if I had done any damage.

The alternative is replacing the entire hub. You don't seem to save much by getting the hub and bearings separately. I can't even find all of those parts separately.

Detroit Axle Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly ($50)
WJB WA515050HD Wheel Bearing & Hub ($56)
MEVOTECH H515050 Wheel Bearing & Hub ($65)
TIMKEN SP470200 Wheel Bearing & Hub ($100)
MOOG 515050 Wheel Bearing & Hub ($108 )

Since you are getting the bearing as well, it is probably even more important than usual to get a quality part. I would expect the Timken part to have very good bearings, but I'm not sure about the others. I have heard some good things about Detroit Axle, but I have no idea what they use for bearings and am a little skeptical about a hub and bearings for $90 for a pair. I suppose I could get some Timken or National bearings and just replace the ones the hub comes with. I think they are only $15 or so.

All of the front bearings listed at RockAuto say they are for the RWD model. I find it hard to believe that they don't carry any for the 4WD model. At PartsGeek, some say RWD, some say 4WD, some list the trim level (XLT, etc), some say nothing at all just 2002 Ford Explorer. Does anyone know if the bearings are really different on the RWD and 4WD variations?

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the actual bearings are different, but when I've replaced the fronts they come as an assembly including the ABS cable. As for the rears, I've had shops do those and when I talk about assemblys they don't correct me -- but it seems to be that just the bearing itself is replaceable.... Both my right bearings went bad a year ago -- the front assembly I replaced, then drove it to the Ford dealer for the rear one. The mechanic showed me he couldn't press out the old bearing and I had to get a LKQ replacement hub, then the new bearing went on.
Did you get to this link

I don't know if the actual bearings are different, but when I've replaced the fronts they come as an assembly including the ABS cable. As for the rears, I've had shops do those and when I talk about assemblys they don't correct me -- but it seems to be that just the bearing itself is replaceable.... Both my right bearings went bad a year ago -- the front assembly I replaced, then drove it to the Ford dealer for the rear one. The mechanic showed me he couldn't press out the old bearing and I had to get a LKQ replacement hub, then the new bearing went on.
Quite a few years ago, I had my front bearings replaced without replacing the hubs. Additionally, they do sell the front bearings separately from the hubs. That would suggest that I could get hub/bearing assembly and replace the bearings before installation. I am still not sure about the difference between 4WD and RWD.
Did you get to this link
I have looked at all of this at RockAuto, and some other sites the carry different brands. If one of the inexpensive ABS cables ($12-$25) isn't a good idea, I don't think it makes sense to spend $80-$100 for an NTK or Motorcraft cable/sensor when I can get an entire Timken hub with new bearings and a sensor for $100. I could get both the front hubs for $90 from Detroit Axle. I have an inclination to go with Detroit Axle but I'm not sure about the bearings.

LMHmedchem

You don't want that Detroit Axle piece, very poor reputation, very inferior products.

I still really need to know if I can replace the bearings on the front wheel hub, meaning re-use the hub but install new bearings. The front bearings are sold separately from the hub at RockAuto, PartsGeek, and Caird, but it is not entirely clear what bearings go with what drive, etc. I haven't been able to find a repair video where the bearing was replace but not the hub.

LMHmedchem

I have done the rear hub bearings that way, but I don't know about the front.

I have taken the hub of an old front knuckle I am going to use because it has a dust shield (my dust shield is a little pile of rust flakes). It doesn't look to me like the hub comes apart so that you could replace the bearing. It looks like the only option is to replace the entire hub.

I got one of the SKP sensor wires for $11 and I will see if it works. For that amount, I think it's worth a try. I will try to remove the broken sensor end with a screwdriver. If it won't come out, I guess I will have to drill.

The sensor wire came with a small packet of something that looks like grease. I was a bit surprised to see that. Does it go in the hole before you insert the sensor?

LMHmedchem

I have taken the hub of an old front knuckle the I am going to use because it has a dust shield (my dust shield is a little pile of rust). It doesn't look to me like the hub comes apart so that you could replace the bearing. It looks like the only option is to replace the entire hub.

I got one of the SKP sensor wires for $11 and I will see if it works. For that amount, I think it's worth a try. I will try to remove the broken sensor end with a screwdriver. If it won't come out, I guess I will have to drill.

The sensor wire came with a small packet of something that looks like grease. I was a bit surprised to see that. Does it go in the hole before you insert the sensor?

LMHmedchem
It's for the electrical connectors.

So the packet that came with the sensor cable is dielectric grease to seal the connection under the hood where the sensor wire plugs into the electronics system? Do you just use it like you would for a spark plug, a little around the inside of the connector to keep moisture out?

The port where the magnetic sensor plugs into the hub is full of grease (since it's a sealed bearing full of grease). Is it necessary to add anything to the port before attaching the sensor or do you just plug it in?

LMHmedchem

Back