Replacement hardware for bed extender? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement hardware for bed extender?

cz413

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Sport Trac
i found a factory bed extender at the junkyard for my ‘02 ST. I think I paid $30.

It’s got a few broken pieces like the latch where it pivots that locks it on the truck.

Also the side pins that prevent it from bouncing.

Any way to find replacement parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i found a factory bed extender at the junkyard for my ‘02 ST. I think I paid $30.

It’s got a few broken pieces like the latch where it pivots that locks it on the truck.

Also the side pins that prevent it from bouncing.

Any way to find replacement parts?

I recently bought an '02 myself and had exactly the same problem. The swivel latch was broken on one side. I called around to see if I could find one. By the way, certain models of the F150 use the exact same bed extender. I couldn't locate one, so I elected to buy the parts through my local Ford dealer. The available replacement parts are limited and expensive too.

This is the old one:
DSC04107.JPG

You have to buy the entire piece. The swivel locks are no longer available as a separate item. It was an easy fix, and I'm happy to have it working now. The entire horizontal piece nearest the camera lens is what you have to buy. They gave me a little discount for cash pre-payment, and we have sales tax here, so it cost just about $120 when all was done.
DSC04106.JPG

I needed it to work right away, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. If you were patient, you might find one for sale, or at a junk yard.

I still don't have the pins. They are one of the parts not available now. If I could find a picture or drawing of one, I probably would try making it on my mini-lathe.

Does any one out there have one they could measure and post a photo of too?

Cheers,

Here sorry dog used it as toy they are available at Ford dealers but have 150.00 plus. Thats why I have not replaced mine.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

Parts for the extenders are super expensive, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the extenders were outsourced to another company. If a guy could find out who you could probably find a cheaper source.

I just bought a bed extender from an F-150 that's way too wide for a Sport Trac, but the parts other than the tubes look to be the same. I brought it home right before supper and dark, so I haven't had a chance to seriously compare it to my ST extender. I'd be willing to part it out, which is really why I bought it. Couldn't pass it up for the price.

Back