Replacement headlights for 1991 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement headlights for 1991 Explorer

My Explorer has seen some use. Due to an accident, the driver side headlight is an aftermarket reproduction which has absolutely horrible light output. Not only is it dimmer than the fogged-over moisture-laden one on the passenger side but the spread isn't even and there's an annoying spot that has a rainbow... Weird.

Anyway, both of my headlights could stand to be replaced. I don't really want to go with the cheapest aftermarket solution since I've seen what that does and I also don't want to get someone's used OEM light off of eBay but I do need to keep costs down. Basically, I'm looking for options. What options are out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go for the Crystal/Diamond headlights. They're very clear, look good, and have a decent light pattern.

All I'm seeing are kits around $300 with very little information regarding 1st gen swaps. Seems for that kind of cash, it'd be best to get some extra lights to mount elsewhere on your vehicle like fog lights and off-road lights.

I went with the diamond cut about five years ago, and they were about $100 for the pair, maybe 110. Made a huge difference over my factory original ones that were hazy yellow, with moisture in one. Don't recall where online I got them though, sorry.

I recently found the diamond cut headlights for around 175 on amazon. Waited a little while and saw the price jump to 230. Found them on ebay for 175 and purchased them. Apparently IPCW, the manufacturer, pulled all of their inventory because of a defect of some sort. The seller notified me of this and said we should know more March 28th.

Benjam :D

Back