• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Headlights

Centaurious

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
My headlights are still fogging after my attempts to seal them. The previous owner drilled holes in the front lower corners... of the LENSES!!!??? :eek:

Are there any Good aftermarket or Bad aftermarket replacements? To look for or look out for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're on a budget, find a set of used ones from a Ranger/Explorer. OEM (even 20+ years old) will be better than the TYC models out there. The TYC have horrible beam patterns.

If they're fogging on the inside, you can remove them from the vehicle and fill them with water and see where it leaks. I got a set off of a Ranger and the passenger side leaked not long after. The previous owner tried to seal it so I cleaned off the silicone and filled it with water. Smeared RTV over the leak and it's been bone dry since.

If the lights are fogging on the outside, one of the better tricks I've seen is using a fine grain sandpaper to sand the entire housing down then shoot a couple layers of automotive clear coat over the top. Looks very close to new and for the price, it's worth a shot.

Doing bulb conversions will at the very least hurt your pattern. Worst case, they'll blind oncoming drivers and possibly get you a ticket for improper vehicle modifications. There's 2 ways to get better lights; replace the whole housing with one of those diamond cut ones but those are very expensive. The other option is to do what vq5speed did and just gut a housing out and stick a projector in.

IMO, the best way to get better lighting is to find a good set of stock headlights that aren't clouded over and don't have moisture in them and then just get a set of fog lights or offroad lights.

I bought some Crystal IPCW headlights recently, and installed them. I think I paid about $90 for a pair. I'm not sold on the "look" but we'll see.

Anyway, I was considering painting over the reflector area with UV paint, and putting some H2 HID's in....but for now, I have just installed my old 9004 lights in them.

Light is a LOT better. My old lenses were clouded on the inside. I've pulled them and am going to bake off the glue, pull the lenses, and see if I can clean them up.

Back