Replacement Key - can anyone recommend a dealer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Key - can anyone recommend a dealer?

stevearcher

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4.0V6
My Explorer only can with one key and one remote. I sorted out the remote easy enough (got on for £17.50 off ebay and programmed it myself).
However the key is a different matter. I understand that it needs to be a dealer who programs it and was wondering if anyone lived in the Midlands (I'm based in Coventry) and had any good/bad experiences of getting keys from dealers.

I've had a phone round the area and found:
Allen Ford, Cov - £107.75 for key and programming
Heartland Ford - Birmingham - Can't cut the keys for X's - possibly around £95 but not sure - try Bristol Street motors.
Bristol Street, Birmingham - Cost of the key plus £135.71+VAT in labour. Would need the car 2 days so they could fax Ford Tech and get the security code!
Lutterworth Ford - Can't cut key or program - key is £15.58 +VAT
Paynes of Hinckley - Can't cut key or program - key is £16 +VAT
Sandicliffe of Leicester - £120 for key and programming.

Are these prices about right? Can you recommend anywhere else around the Midlands that might be cheaper (don't mind travelling if it saves a few quid).

Changing the subject, I've just gave my X a full service, new discs and pads all round and now need the shoes replacing for the parking brake! Also got my windows tinted (from B pillar back) I used Midland Tinting in Hinckley and would recommend them www.midlandtinting.com. It does look really nice!

Thanks,
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should also be able to buy the key off of Ebay. I would think any place that cuts keys would be able to cut to match your origional. Then just take it to a dealer and have them program it. Atleast thats what I did.

I would also check with some locksmiths. They sometimes have the technology to program keys.

Welcome to the site.

I had the same problem when I got mine. One key and one remote. I had to go to the dealer to get a new key (I got two just in case) and I think I paid about what you are being quoted. I had to take proof of ownership and the registration document before they would do one. It took them about an hour. This was at Hartwells in Oxford.

I got a spare key for my '98 at the same time as booking it in for a service. Like with most of you the '98 came with only 1 working key and 2 fobs. There was a 2nd key but the bit with the chip in it had been broken off... Anyway, George Wright (Ford) in Cleckheaton charged approx £15ish for the key (inc cutting) and about £50 for reprogramming AND deleting any previous keys and fobs from the memory. That was about 4 years ago.
If you already have 2 working keys it is possible (apparantly) to program a 3rd key yourself in a similar fashion to programming spare fobs.

Simon H

Replacement Key Sorted!

Was about to give up on getting one from Ford, especially after my local dealer, who was the cheapest, suddenly couldn't decide how long it would take when I went to book it in - "should be able to do it in 1 hour but could take longer and our labour charge is £82.25 per hour" :mad:

Thought I would just buy a blank key from somewhere and get it cut and leave the programming until I lose the original (hopefully won't but...)

Popped into the local locksmith to make sure they would be able to cut a blank to my key and found out they could program it as well!
That was this morning. Went back this afternoon and 1 hour later - one new key supplied, cut and programmed by them and all working fine. :D
The cost - £65+VAT (£76.38) - much cheaper than Ford!

The locksmith I used was Eyden Locksmiths Ltd at 44 Wallace Road, Coventry, CV6 2LX - Telephone 024 7633 2524, email = sales@eydens.co.uk.

While I was there, I also got a replacement fuel cap key - £2.45.

Was impressed with their service and would recommend them if anyone on here needs a new key and is near Coventry. :thumbsup:

Steve

Back