Replacement rear diff cover | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement rear diff cover

Thanks for the pics JT!! They look beefy!

This is what kills me. The wife's 'Zuki has a drain plug on the bottom of the diff housing.
I dont think any of the Dana/Spicer axles have drain plugs and most of the other domestic axles (Sterling et al) dont either. So your lucky if you've got axles with drain plugs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the pics JT!! They look beefy!

I dont think any of the Dana/Spicer axles have drain plugs and most of the other domestic axles (Sterling et al) dont either. So your lucky if you've got axles with drain plugs.

And people wonder why Japan is taking over the car & Truck market.

It does save time of taking all the bolts out of the cover and making a silicone gasket.

Then there is the front diff on the 1995-2001 which is a whole other story.

It does save time of taking all the bolts out of the cover and making a silicone gasket.
Overtime, I think people just get used to it.
I remove the cover on both axles about two or three times a year and its not too bad at all.

I can't tell from the pic. Is the fill plug for a rubber plug (like the old dodges) or is it threaded. If threaded, what type of thread (NPT?) or did it come with a fill plug?

~Mark

I can't tell from the pic. Is the fill plug for a rubber plug (like the old dodges) or is it threaded. If threaded, what type of thread (NPT?) or did it come with a fill plug?

~Mark

Yup-threaded metal plug included, also new bolts. The bolts have a nice black "parkerized" type coating on them.
However-there was a mistake in the factory
one of the packages of hardware was completely sealed, and missing the plug. I'll let you guys know if this ebayer will make it right, or tell me I'm shkruud

thanks for all the replies. Getting the back diff coverf off isn't too bad, there's plenty of room under there especially with the sway bar removed and the lift over - http://icehouseoffroad.com/fho39.htm

As the vehicle is only (mostly) used off-road the oil gets changed whenever I think of doing it and it would be easy to get a steel cover and fabricate drain and fill plugs in it - a lot easier than getting to the factory fill plug.

We keep a small ceramic magnet in there as well to help gather up any loose stuff.

The trip to the junkyard last week didn't go too well, lots of Explorers there and some with the cover very easy to get at but the guy didn't want to sell just the cover.

May just go to Advance or Autozone and buy a another stock one and keep it in the back with all the other "just in case" junk.

Ray

i removed the rear diff cover over the weekend on my 93 for the first time in over 6 years with ease. all i did was spray PB lightly on the bolts and they came right out. i was discouraged to see black rtv and no gasket. the fill location on the 8.8s is ridiculous, i ended up using a suction gun from work to fill 1/3 of a quart at a time. laying on your back that takes forever. i may look for a spare cover to put a fill hole in.

My Zuki has drain plugs on the bottom of all differentials :confused: How I wish my D35 IFS had a drain plug on it. I had to pull it one time because I got water in it :mad:

To fill my diffs, I have a large pump like comes on big shampoo bottles with a length of flexable hose on the spout. It works well, I can easily fill the front differential in the vehicle. On the 8.8, remove the ABS sensor, fill the diff from there- just remove the regular fill hole and fill it to the correct level.

The fill hole is nice on the diff, like JT said, a drain hole won't get all the fluid, you have to remove the cover. The only way to drain it all is a plug in the bottom of the diff housing itself.

Diff covers are beefy looking. :thumbsup:

How do they look now?

Attachments

• both rc complete.jpg
    both rc complete.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 143

they look good.. I want one now.. with some poweder coating :) (bright green/yellow)

~Mark

I think you need to cash in on this JT! Buy all 48, powder coat them all, and resell :D
And I'm pretty sure he'll give you a percentage off if you bought all 48 off the bat :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh--I can't make change for a quarter.

You do have a great idea there-one I would act on for sure. Right now the timing is all wrong. I have kids and Christmas shopping to do-lots of kids and shopping.
On the other hand, these would make nice gifts you guys.;)

Back