Replacement throttle body needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement throttle body needed

Dredwolf

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT,1991 XLT
So tonight's quick change of the TPS after a P1120 code and loss of power today pretty much was a failure. Having changed the TPS a few years ago, I knew to have a right-angle #2 Phillips ready, and the old TPS was off in a few minutes. Went to install the new TPS, and the top Phillips did not want to start easy like the bottom...okay, got time, let's pull the throttle body to make it easier. Few minutes later, had throttle body where I could swap the screws around, put good pressure on the screwdriver, etc. No matter which fasterner, bottom was easy, top was difficult about 1\2 in. Then, as I'm trying to slowly thread the top screw in, it snaps flush with the mounting holes. These screws appear to be brittle, and drilling it out of the plastic throttle body will be difficult. Replacing it seems best, apparently the 2003 plastic one is rare? Any help or pointers on locating a replacement would be appreciated, since both my Ranger and the wife's Explorer are down now, so I'm renting in the morning.

Back