Replacement Tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Tires

Hey all looking for replacement tires for the 20 Limited. 255/55/20.
I have seen Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 plus has great reviews but i dont want to kill the ride quality.
The stock Michelin Primacy AS have about 35k on them now and they are about done.
Let me know which route you went with.

Thanks
Put cooper SRX tired on vehicles. 75,000 mile warranty. Plus ride is smooth as glass. Alot of tread on tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put cooper SRX tired on vehicles. 75,000 mile warranty. Plus ride is smooth as glass. Alot of tread on tires.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It would also be useful if you posted that in the 5th gen forum's thread; Time for tires

Peter

My 22 ST-Line is running 21” Scorpions and I like the ride comfort.

Try looking at a 275/50/20 they are slightly wider and just a hair shorter at 30.8" Real close to the 31" 255/55/20 and since it's a common size, there are plenty of choices available.

I have seen Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 plus has great reviews but i dont want to kill the ride quality.
The stock Michelin Primacy AS have about 35k on them now and they are about done.

Thanks
I have a '21 Limited with 68000 miles (yep - adding up quick). At 60,000 I replaced my factory Pirelli Scorpions (probably had another 10,000 left in them) with Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 plus. These tires have been great for me and after about 2500 miles they smooth out really nice so the ride is no big deal. They track really well on the highway and grip nicely in the rain. Haven't experienced snow with them so I can't comment on their performance. If I decide to keep the Limited a few more years - I'll do the Pirellis again in a heartbeat. Just my experience.

Mine will likely get either Michelin LTX or Michelin Pilot Sport AS4
We has the AS3+ on our Flex & they were great in all conditions, and wore very well.

There is about $300 difference between Pirelli and the defenders, am i crazy to go with the Pirellis?

I did similar on my Mercedes. Went with Bridgestone over the Michelin AS3+ to save about $250. Wasn't unhappy with the choice, and drove about the same as my coworker with the same car on the Michelins.

I swapped on dedicated winters on 18” wheels for my 20 Platinum. The OEM tires were done when put the winters back on this last fall, so I’ll need to replace them in a few weeks. I’ve got the 21” wheels and since I’m running a dedicated winter, I’m planning to go to a dedicated summer tire. My shortlist right now are the Toyo Proxes Sport, Continental Sport Contact 5, Pirelli P Zero and Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 SUV. My biggest decision though is whether to run my OEM size of 275/45R21 or the slightly smaller but wider 295/40R21. Anyone running an alternate size on the 21” OEM wheels?

I swapped on dedicated winters on 18” wheels for my 20 Platinum. The OEM tires were done when put the winters back on this last fall, so I’ll need to replace them in a few weeks. I’ve got the 21” wheels and since I’m running a dedicated winter, I’m planning to go to a dedicated summer tire. My shortlist right now are the Toyo Proxes Sport, Continental Sport Contact 5, Pirelli P Zero and Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 SUV. My biggest decision though is whether to run my OEM size of 275/45R21 or the slightly smaller but wider 295/40R21. Anyone running an alternate size on the 21” OEM wheels?
+1 on the dedicated winters. As for the summers, I think a wider tire would create more rolling resistance and thus reduce your MPG slightly. They would have more grip on dry surfaces but would tend to hydroplane more on wet surfaces.
Good to know that 18" will work on the OEM 21" Explorer.

Peter

I have a '21 Limited with 68000 miles (yep - adding up quick). At 60,000 I replaced my factory Pirelli Scorpions (probably had another 10,000 left in them) with Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 plus. These tires have been great for me and after about 2500 miles they smooth out really nice so the ride is no big deal. They track really well on the highway and grip nicely in the rain. Haven't experienced snow with them so I can't comment on their performance. If I decide to keep the Limited a few more years - I'll do the Pirellis again in a heartbeat. Just my experience.

I just put the Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 on my 2020 Limited as well. I only had 50k miles on my original Pirelli Scorpion tires, and they were pretty much done.

I have about 800 miles on my new tires and I like them a lot. The price was better compared to other name brands as well.

Good to know that 18" will work on the OEM 21" Explorer.

Peter
Yeah. I went with the 18x8.5 MB Crux wheels from Discount. They’re kind off meh wheels but they’re not bad and they’re cheap, which is important for winter use. 😂 For tires, I went with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV in 265/60R18, which is roughly identical diameter wise to the OEM 21” tire/wheel set.

I don’t know this combo will fit an ST with the big brake package, but it’ll fit every other Explorer.
image.jpg

Hi all

Had a question related to tire size for stock 21 XLT. Looking to switch off the stock 20" option to something beefier.

Will 265/70/16 fit on stock suspension with no rubbing? If not what are some other good options?

Thanks!

Thanks
I like the Pirellis. I may look at the Bridgestone Alenza as Ultras. At least two years in the future, though. Maybe three.

I doubt that you can mount 16" tires on a 2021 Explorer because of the brake size. An 18" may work but you may have to buy a new set of wheels if changing away from the 20" ones.
It has been mentioned here several times that when changing sizes, you should not exceed the maximum diameter size by more than 3% compared to the OEM size.
A 265/65R18 would fall within that range. So would a 265/50R20 and 275/50R20 but you might get some rubbing. You can use this site to play around with different sizes. 255/55 R20 vs 275/50 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)
Since your thread was merged with this one, check out posts #24, 29 and 30.

Peter

I doubt that you can mount 16" tires on a 2021 Explorer because of the brake size. An 18" may work but you may have to buy a new set of wheels if changing away from the 20" ones.
It has been mentioned here several times that when changing sizes, you should not exceed the maximum diameter size by more than 3% compared to the OEM size.
A 265/65R18 would fall within that range. So would a 265/50R20 and 275/50R20 but you might get some rubbing. You can use this site to play around with different sizes. 255/55 R20 vs 275/50 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

Peter
Thank you!

Back