• Register Today It's free!

Replacement TPMS Sensor

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
My 2007 Explorer is getting ready for TPMS sensor replacement. What is the current thinking about TMPS sensor replacements? Should I go with the factory style replacement or go with the style that fits behind the valve stem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

basically its up to you. In my opinion the band style are less likely to be broken by a tire shop. I have both band and stem style the original band style on my winter rims and tires and stem on my summer set.

I had one replaced by Discount Tire and it has been flawless for over a year now from -22F to 100F. When they replaced the tires, one of the TPMS bands broke an hour later. They replaced it for free but said it would have been $50 unmounts/replace/mount/balance.

Tech By Trade said:
Orange electronic LE6L2T
I just installed these in my aftermarket wheels, they are a lot cheaper than the either factory set, banded or mounted. Just search LE6L2T on eBay.
They programmed perfectly with factory Ford tool.

Partsman109, when you say factory Ford tool, are you referring to the TMPS-19 Ford programmer which looks like a keyfob transmitter with one pushbutton and one LED light? (I already own one of those)

Dag6XLT, what did Discount Tire charge for installing the TMPS sensor? I use Discount Tire and am trying to get an idea as to how much they would charge if I bring new TMPS sensors when I buy new tires.

They did mine for free because the band broke a hour after they replace all four tires. Otherwise, it would be $50 including parts.

Partsman109, when you say factory Ford tool, are you referring to the TMPS-19 Ford programmer which looks like a keyfob transmitter with one pushbutton and one LED light? (I already own one of those)
Now that you mention it...the one my tech used had 2 LEDs on it, but it wasn't that much bigger than the TPMS19.
I thought it was the Ford tool...whatever tool it was, it programmed the Orange sensors perfectly to my Explorer.

Back