• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 04 4.0 Spark Plugs

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I know threads related to this pop up all the time, but I couldn't find what I was looking for through the search. I want to replace my plugs before winter and I used to have a thread bookmarked where someone had a step by step on how to replace the spark plugs in a 4.0 with pictures and a list of every socket extension needed for each plug. I accidentally deleted this bookmark and now I can't seem to find that thread. Does anyone know of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure of the thread, but from changing them on my wifes truck, the important thing is to be patient. At times it felt like they wouldn't thread in. I even used a thread chaser on two of them where it felt like they were going in at the wrong angles. I went through the wheel wells to thread them in by hand and over the top to tighten. You want just a 2 inch extnesion working on the back plugs, and a 4 or longer for the front. When removing the wires, you have to carefully squeeze and twist off the wires from the plug.

>>>>>>>>>>
I know threads related to this pop up all the time, but I couldn't find what I was looking for through the search. I want to replace my plugs before winter and I used to have a thread bookmarked where someone had a step by step on how to replace the spark plugs in a 4.0 with pictures and a list of every socket extension needed for each plug. I accidentally deleted this bookmark and now I can't seem to find that thread. Does anyone know of it?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't have that bookmark you are looking for on spark plug changing but I did change the spark plugs on my 2005 EX 4.0L this past February. I used a spark plug socket with a built in angled swivel adapter for the slight angle of the plugs and I used a 3/8 diameter, 20 inch long socket extension and a 6 inch adapter at times to reach them without having to hang over the fender well to reach the plugs. I had no major problems removing my old plugs or wires and to make it easier for me, I disconnected the air intake tubing on the passenger side at the clamps and rotated the air intake tubing up and out of the way for more clearance room. Rotate the the spark plug wire boot side to side a few times to break the seal before pulling them off the old spark plugs. If your spark plug wires are old, good time to change them. I used the "Auotlite Professional Series" Plug Wires Part # 97050 and single platinum Autolite OE spark plugs Part #AP 103 bought at Advance Auto Parts. The cylinder numbers for your plug wire connections should be printed on the coil pack, mine was, but I have the Haynes Manual to verify as well and the original factory Ford Wires had the cylinder numbers printed on them as well. Passenger side cylinder number is 1-2-3 in that order front to back of motor while standing infront of the radiator looking at the motor. Driver side cylinder number is 4-5-6 in that order front to back of motor while standing infront of radiator. The cylinder number on the coil pack while standing infront of the vehicle looking down at the coil pack is "rear row" 1-2-3 left to right, the "front row" is 5-6-4 left to right order. The actual engine "firing order" is 1-4-2-5-3-6 for the 4.0L V-6 engine. Prior to installing the new spark plugs, double check the gap setting which is .061 to .068 for the 4.0L V-6's, 2005 and earlier models. Once you have your new plugs partially threaded by hand and ready to torque them up, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. You can damage your threads and cylinder heads doing so. The max torque setting for the 4.0L V-6 2005 and earlier models is 156 inch lbs. If you do change your plug wires or re-use the old ones, make sure to apply "electrical grease" inside the boot connections on the plug wires at both ends prior to re-connecting them to the plugs or the coil pack. Hope this info helps you get started, just ask if you have any other questions about this procedure. Good luck!

Wow that should help, thanks! Exproblems-did you have to go through the wheel wells or were the extensions enough?

>>>>>>>>>
Wow that should help, thanks! Exproblems-did you have to go through the wheel wells or were the extensions enough?
>>>>>>>>>>>

Your welcome! No, I did not go through the wheel wells. No need to on the 4.0L V-6. I simply stood along the sides of each front fender and the extensions were enough reach to remove and install the old and new spark plugs. I'm a broad shouldered 270lb guy, and I had no problems with room to do this job standing along side of the vehicle. Don't forget to use a "swivel adapter" to help angle the spark plug socket for the slight angle of the plugs. MY spark plug socket has one built into it. Spark plug sockets also have a hollow rubber plug inside of them to grip the shaft of a spark plug so it doesn't fall out of the socket when you removing or installing the plugs. If you use a plain socket to do this job, you'll have problems holding on to the spark plug. The spark plug will fall right out of the socket when you tip it downward. Cover your fenders with an old blanket to protect your paint job. Good luck and let us know how you make out if you decide to tackle this job yourself. It's not that hard, just take your time. BTW, do not drop any of the new plugs on the ground by accident, it can damage or crack the sensitive porcelain surface on a plug.

Back