Replacing 3.7 motor with a 3.5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 3.7 motor with a 3.5

Exp157

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer PIU
Good day all,
ive searched high and low for some info on this. I have a 2014 explorer PIU and came across and 2014 non eco 3.5 motor that I'm looking to purchase as a backup as my PIU has very high KM and cant beat the price, is this possible? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Good day all,
ive searched high and low for some info on this. I have a 2014 explorer PIU and came across and 2014 non eco 3.5 motor that I'm looking to purchase as a backup as my PIU has very high KM and cant beat the price, is this possible? Thanks

Aside from any advice offered here, I would also highly recommend buying the factory service manual. Or, at the very least, buying a subscription to fords online service manual and looking to see what info you can find - ie what it's like for a 3.7 engine replacement in a PIU and then the same procedure with a 3.5 non eco. Then compare the two procedures and see what the differences are.

You'd have to compare transmissions as well, not to mention all the fiddly connectors, relays, and harnesses.

Don't forget the water pump is internal, so you'd have to check if that matches too.

There's also the re-programming that would be required for this sort of job, which may not even be possible with forscan - again, you'd have to check specifically how the engines are programmed across all the different modules within the vehicle and the different drivetrain components. This may have to be done at a dealership, if one even knows how to do it.

You could try calling around to your local PDs, see if they can recommend a dealer who works with them. Or just call local dealers and ask if they modify PIUs and ask to speak to the tech that's in charge of those mods.

Long story short, anything is possible if you have enough time and money. To see whether this is, I would do the above so you get a feel for how complex this may be and how long it would take (remember each hour in the service manual will $100 approx + parts + tax + covering your ride while this vehicle is in the shop).

My guess is this is not worth the savings on the motor you're looking at, but ymmv.

Yes it's possible but you'd need the entire harness and computer for it to be close to plug and play.

Back