Replacing 4 Catalytic Converters with 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 4 Catalytic Converters with 2

'00 offroad expl

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 explorer spt
I have a 2000 4.0 sport with 4 cats (2 cats on each bank). Is it possible to remove one cat on each bank past the o2 sensor and not have a lose of performance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why?

Why is it illegal? it has nothing to do with the o2 sensors. I am not in Calf.
I want to do it so i dont have to buy 4 cats

Why is it illegal? it has nothing to do with the o2 sensors. I am not in Calf.
I want to do it so i dont have to buy 4 cats

)I did I took out the front cats and put the y pipe from a 97 that doesn't have the cats up front and even uses the front O2 sensors . I just got it back today I will let u know how it feels tomorrow ........once I drive it more

it drives fine just waiting for a gasket from the dealer for the Y pipe to the rear cats that is leaking exhaust fumes

It is against federal law to tamper with or remove any emissions equipment, and the cats fall under that category. If you remove 4 you must put 4 back in.

yeah we heard you the first time Techie...................still doesn't change the fact its a done deal.................4-2= 2:salute:

So did the front pipe from the 97 fit the rear convertors?

)I did I took out the front cats and put the y pipe from a 97 that doesn't have the cats up front and even uses the front O2 sensors . I just got it back today I will let u know how it feels tomorrow ........once I drive it more

Do you have any pictures of the flange and the fit? You can email them if you don't mind...merkurman@austin.rr.com...

Thanks....

Do you have any pictures of the flange and the fit? You can email them if you don't mind...merkurman@austin.rr.com...

Thanks....

yeah the front flange bolted right up just the same i even used the O2 sensors off that flange................been driving good ever since no check engine light or anything.......................Just waiting on a gasket from the ford dealer.............because mine isnt holding up too well. the gasket between the Y flange and the back Cats...............

Back