Replacing 5R55S - got a remanufactured unit. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 5R55S - got a remanufactured unit.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
A friend of ours had a 2007 Eddie Bauer, nicely loaded with 7 seats, factory DVD, no GPS and it's in good condition. It's v6, wish it was v8

116k miles and it lost reverse, and 3,4, and 5th gears are shot also.

4 brand new tires installed, and then it hits the dust so she was not happy.
She fixed it by buying a new SUV :)

Well, I bought it for $ 1800 from them, maybe I overpaid, but my son will soon get his driver licence, so i thought let him start with an Ex.
Also, he likes turning wrenches so I had him, with my help pull the tranny out.
Now, we need a new one:)

I checked RockAuto, and Street Smart transmissions. Prices are in $ 1900 range. Any other places to get a remanufactured unit ?
I want to flush the lines, which one is the return ? The top or bottom ?
One of the tranny shops I visited, told me to replace the flywheel spacer since the bore gets worn out where the TQ gets in. Anybody heard of that ?

IMG_6999_zpszqtrkpaf.jpg

IMG_6996_zpsjl3iyd1s.jpg

After it's out
IMG_7009_zpslhoco3sx.jpg

IMG_7008_zps1zdy12rs.jpg

IMG_7001_zpshy6gv7xu.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A friend of ours had a 2007 Eddie Bauer, nicely loaded with 7 seats, factory DVD, no GPS and it's in good condition. It's v6, wish it was v8

116k miles and it lost reverse, and 3,4, and 5th gears are shot also.

4 brand new tires installed, and then it hits the dust so she was not happy.
She fixed it by buying a new SUV.

Well, I bought it for $ 1800 from them, maybe I overpaid, but my son will soon get his driver licence, so i thought let him start with an Ex.
Also, he likes turning wrenches so I had him, with my help pull the tranny out.
Now, we need a new one:)

I checked RockAuto, and Street Smart transmissions. Prices are in $ 1900 range. Any other places to get a remanufactured unit ?
I want to flush the lines, which one is the return ? The top or bottom ?
One of the tranny shops I visited, told me to replace the flywheel spacer since the bore gets worn out where the TQ gets in. Anybody heard of that ?

IMG_6999_zpszqtrkpaf.jpg

IMG_6996_zpsjl3iyd1s.jpg

After it's out
IMG_7009_zpslhoco3sx.jpg

IMG_7008_zps1zdy12rs.jpg

IMG_7001_zpshy6gv7xu.jpg
Nothing to add other than good job. How many hours did it take you to pull the trnny?

We did it in few shots. Total was maybe 3 hrs laying on the ground. The things I feared the most were the 6 bottom bolts of the cross member, luckily they all came out just fine using an impact gun. If they snap, then you need to drill the frame and tap it or something. That may take a while. Second, the exhaust manifold studs, also all 4 nuts came out nicely with the gun. If those snap, you need to get the manifold off, but then the manifold studs tend to snap in the heads and you need to drill and tap those - and that's a royal pain.

It's very tight there, even after we tilted the engine/tranny/TC down. You need to unhook 4 O2 sensors, 3 some type of speed sensors on top of the transmission, linkage, solenoid connector, fuel lines - all that trying not to brake the brackets and connectors at the same time.

4 torque converter nuts were easy once you remove the starter. 7 of the 8 bellhousing bolts were also OK, the last one - top passenger side was PITA, did it by feel, can't see it, and I did not want to remove the intake just to get to it.

I installed 26 gal compressor in my garage, and have some cheap Harbor Freight air tools that work actually amazing for the price. Can't imagine the job without impact air tools.

For those interested.

I got the replacement unit from Street Smart transmission. I chose them since they were the most serious looking supplier, with a website, good communication and real people behind. Also, they had best price. Very close behind them was Shift Rite transmission from IL.
I paid $ 1820 including shipping and torque converter. I have 30 days to return the core in the case provided, otherwise be charged $ 600 additional.. The trucking company charges $ 100 extra for a residential pick up, but I just went to their trucking base and picked it up myself.
I called few local shops as well. One said they do not do over the counter rebuilds, another said $ 3000 for a rebuild unit less $ 400 for labor since I already pulled it out, so $ 2600.
Another shop would pick up the phone once in a while :) so I lost my faith in them.
Now, I need to find time to get my son under the truck to put it back in :)

IMG_7032_zpsevyw6ktx.jpg

IMG_7031_zpsqwa7xzbc.jpg

IMG_7033_zpswtqevs9d.jpg

IMG_7034_zpszjr9zaxl.jpg

Good job. Looks like a ton of work. I think I would rather pull an engine than pull a tranny...
Did the tranny co. give you a warranty? If so, how long and did they allow you to install it and keep the warranty valid?
A couple of tranny shops and installers I contacted wouldn't sell me a tranny with a warranty while allowing me to install it. I did get a quote of $500-$700 to have a tranny installed, if I purchased the unit elsewhere, like Rockauto, for example.
How hard was it to pull the transfer case and the drive shafts? Heavy?
Thanks

I pulled the v8 out of my other explorer (06) twice so I have a direct comparison, both done on my driveway without the lift with air tools.
Pulling engine is easier in the sense that it comes up, there is much less at the bottom to unbolt so you spend less time on your back. You can do a lot thru the wheel wells. You deal with the fuel, and PCM, TCM harnesses, radiator, and transmission bolts including TC. When I needed to replace the motor, I got few quotes, and all of them called for 20 man hours for the R&R of the engine.
I did it with a friend in 10 hours, and that included replacing both motor mounts, cat assembly, front stabilizer bushings, and dealing with PS pump and AC compressor that did both not want to budge from the bolts. Those 2 added an hour of aggravation.

The tranny calls for 6-7 man hours I believe. If I had a lift, you can probably pull it out in 2-3 hours. I'll see how much it takes my son and myself to put it back in.

We pulled the tranny and TC as one unit, then we separated it. Both driveshaft can be taken out in 15-20 minutes, they are not that heavy. The tranny is heavy, I picked up both units from the floor (1 at a time of course :) ) and put on the bench to swap the sensors and vent tubes, and I still feel it :)

To be continued....

For those interested.

I got the replacement unit from Street Smart transmission. I chose them since they were the most serious looking supplier, with a website, good communication and real people behind. Also, they had best price. Very close behind them was Shift Rite transmission from IL.
I paid $ 1820 including shipping and torque converter. I have 30 days to return the core in the case provided, otherwise be charged $ 600 additional.. The trucking company charges $ 100 extra for a residential pick up, but I just went to their trucking base and picked it up myself.
I called few local shops as well. One said they do not do over the counter rebuilds, another said $ 3000 for a rebuild unit less $ 400 for labor since I already pulled it out, so $ 2600.
Another shop would pick up the phone once in a while :) so I lost my faith in them.
Now, I need to find time to get my son under the truck to put it back in :)

IMG_7032_zpsevyw6ktx.jpg

IMG_7031_zpsqwa7xzbc.jpg

IMG_7033_zpswtqevs9d.jpg

IMG_7034_zpszjr9zaxl.jpg
Good Job.
That is perfect write up on tranny swap.
First time !
Keep us updated.

Have you calculated how much money you saved by doing the labor yourself? I'm looking at your lift system and the amount of time your rig has been off-line. Plus you mentioned you purchased an air tool system as well. I'm debating whether or not to perform the labor myself. Frankly, it looks like a ton of work for one person, myself, to perform. I have hand tools only. No air tools except for an 1/2" electric impact wrench I picked up from Harbor Freight.

My truck spent its first three years in New Jersey so I have rust issues too. I started spraying the exhaust nuts and bolts with KROIL the other day. If I do the work I want it to go easy and smooth. My driver side motor mount is shot so I'll replace both mounts plus the trans mount while I'm in there.

Any difficulty removing the drive shafts?

PS: Shift Rite quoted me $2250 to have the trans shipped to Los Angeles. The main difference I've noticed during my shopping is Shift Rite does not include the return core shipping within the shipping quote. It's extra... They told me to sell the trans locally to recoup my shipping fees. Interesting... I'm still ordering through Shift Rite.

Nice write up!!!

Hi Eddie (and others:) )
Finally, last weekend we had some time and after 3 hours of some lifting we got the tranny in, exhaust connected, driveshaft installed, fluid refilled. The car started right up, no CEL, drives great, I did the relearn procedure on the highway, and the car is fully operational.
It's short of miracle :)
Usually you get some codes, some connector did not click or something.
My final cost was $ 1,845 plus 9 qts of Mercon V. Since they could not get 18 wheeler into my neighborhood, I got a credit for the residential delivery surcharge, and I just went and picked it up myself from the trucking hub 40 miles away. They came and picked it up, and I met them on a street and moved over the old tranny.
Shift Rite was my runner up as well, I spoke with them, but the fact that they charge you for shipping back turned me off. And selling an old tranny is not fun either, it's just a pain.
My air set up was something I wanted to do for a long time, so it was just a coincidence that I had it for the tranny job. My friend who closed down his contracting business gave me 26 gal oil compressor for free, so that was no brainer. I had some air tools already, I only bought the big air gun.
It's a job for 2 people, at least to put it back in, my 15 year old did most of the lifting with me. It was his project and possibly his first car, so he did 70% of wrenching.
Exhaust, drive shafts, cross member - all those it's good to have another pair of hands.
I can't imagine doing that without air tools - possible, but would take me 3 times more.
Driveshafts are easy to remove, rear, just use 12 point 12 mm socket, the front uses a T30 I believe in front, and 8 mm in the rear. Be careful not to snap that little thing.

Also, I tried (on my old 06 Explorer when I was replacing transfer case) to remove the cross member, used a breaker bar and 15 mm socket, and the bolt just snapped in the frame. With impact gun they all came out - I guess the "dynamics" of the removal loosens them up in different way. Drilling the frame to get that piece out may take an hour, and you have 6 of them. Also, I needed to get that little adapter to refill the tranny thru the drain plug. About $ 10 on ebay.

I ended up going to a reputable local shop here in LA. They charged me $1,900 to rebuild my trans, put a puller trans oil fan, replace a motor mount, and got it done in 3 days. Now all they have to do is align the shifter cable. It run great. New bands plus an upgraded rebuild kit. Hope it last. I got a two year warranty too. Not bad in my opinion. Plus they installed it. Very happy.

1900 is a great price. Around here they wanted 3000-3500.
My other goal with that was for my son to experience it first hand.
Otherwise I would take that in a heartbeat.

Thanks. Once the shifter cable is aligned, I'll be 100% satisfied. The price and other items they took care of I'll be so happy.

My antifreeze is grey!!! No bubbles and no coolant loss. I'm going to sway out the radiator fluid today. I'm concerned the trans also has coolant in it too.

That sounds like a head gasket issue. You can have it checked for traces of combustion gases in the coolant.

I am not sure how tranny would pick up antifreeze. I always thought that the lower part of the radiator where the tranny is cooled is a separate "chamber" from the main core.

It is a separate tank inside the radiator, but there are O-rings to seal the unit to the body of the radiator to the transmission cooler inside the radiator... Otherwise, if there is a physical hole in the internal transmission cooler...

Dumb question - did they figure out why the tranny tanked the first time? If not, you may have just found the cuplrit...

I've wandered over here from the 2nd gen forum looking around, and I'm subbing to this thread lol, since I've been looking at upgrade choices and knowing what these are made of isn't a bad idea.

The servo bores(?) wore out...and the clutches were worn. I also had broken bands. I was told I have a 32-ish spline sungear. The number of splines had something to do with the upgrade kit that is available. I am unfamiliar with tranny's. I still need the shifter cable aligned. I've got it close but I still miss Reverse

I replaced the brakes and the fan clutch yesterday. My explorer rewarded me today by blowing the water pump. The saga continues.

When I change out the water pump tomorrow I'm hoping to find something that will tell me why the coolant is grey-ish brown. The coolant looks like it has some sort of sealer in it. I had the coolant flushed by the dealership a few months ago so I'm fairly bummed that the coolant is messed up.

My Blackstone oil analysis of just two weeks ago didn't show any coolant. My Sodium was listed at 28 with zero potassium. I topped off my oil once with a off label quart I picked up at the gas station - could have had Sodium within the additive package. Mobile 1 doesn't use Sodium according to Blackstone. If the head gasket failed it happened within just the past few hundred miles.

Back