Replacing AC Accumulator - Anything I should Know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing AC Accumulator - Anything I should Know?

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
Long time no post :/ But Im back with a new problem.

I am replacing the accumulator in my ac doe to a leaking port on the old one. Do I need to add any oil to the system? Is there anything in particular I should do?

I am having the system filled with straight R134a, not the stuff you get from the auto parts store with the "oil added".
Thanks in advance :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long time no post :/ But Im back with a new problem.

I am replacing the accumulator in my ac doe to a leaking port on the old one. Do I need to add any oil to the system? Is there anything in particular I should do?

I am having the system filled with straight R134a, not the stuff you get from the auto parts store with the "oil added".
Thanks in advance :D

Since your in a hot climate I'd replace the normal oriface tube with a Variable one while you have the system open. It will help your a/c performance when at idle.

As for oil, Since your going to have the system filled I'd let the people who are putting in the r-134 put the oil in.. and yes, AFAIK, your supposed to add oil when you change the accumulator. I "think" I remember it being 2 ounces per component replaced.. but I'm not 100% on that.

~Mark

i replaced the accumulator in my '95 Pontiac a few summers ago (it was completely plugged up thanks to me using SuperSeal). once i installed the new accumulator, i cut the old one open to see what was inside. it had 2 desiccant bags (that looked like a pair of testicles) and it had quite a bit of oil in it (maybe 2-3 ounces). so i added a can of compressor oil with the refrigerant. i also took the opportunity to change all the "O-rings" while the system was open. i don't recall if it had an orifice tube (if it did i replaced that too). i did not vacuum the system before adding 2+ cans of regular R134a. the system worked perfectly (ice cold) until i got rid of the car 2 years later.

Ok, good to know. Thanks guys :D

Koda, good to see your Elite buddy :D :thumbsup:

I did mine over the weekend and poured in what I would eyeball as maybe an ounce? I guessed that's what was expelled when the old one rusted through.

Bill

Back