Replacing aftermarket subwoofers question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing aftermarket subwoofers question

bdander

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer AWD
Hey guys so a few years ago I decided to go with an aftermarket sound system to replace my JBL. I built my own subwoofer box and wiring and it works just fine but I find myself wishing I had more space in the trunk. I currently have 2 Kenwood 12" woofers rated at 450 watts and a Kenwood amp rated at 500 watts on 2 ohms. I was wondering if it would be possible to do one of two things. And the case is not ported.

A) Replace with a shallow mount single woofer, the only problem is it will still take up cargo space unless it is possible to fit under the rear seats? I'm open to suggestions.

B) Go with a smaller woofer and place it where the stock woofer used to be. Problem with that is I would like to not go smaller than 10" and if I did go that way with a 10" would it require major modification or is it rather simple? I am going to be removing my stock amp since it is no longer being used.

My budget would max around $400 for amp and woofer together, also a box. I can build one but if I can get a cheap shallow one that is already built that would work too.

Thanks for your time and help. I will check regularly in case there are questions I missed or didn't answer.

-BA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you built your own box.. why not build another one in the stock location.
If you take proper measurements, you can build a pretty nice, good sized box that can hold a 10 inch sub in the stock area.

a) firstly, the seats fold. so you lose the option if you needed additional cargo space, and even if they didn't there isn't much room for an amp under them, let alone an entire subwoofer enclosure, no matter how shallow.

b) i've heard of users using the stock enclosure to house a sub. not too sure on all the details on that, just use the search bar. JL has a stealth box, but they aren;t easy to find without the sub inside of it. which is around 600. Q-Logic sells a box on ebay for a little over 200. Or you could always make your own box. (these all listed fit in the spot of a factory box

I don't mind making my own but I'm not opposed to getting a Q-Logic since it looks pretty decent. What is the max size they will accept and if I build my own I'm guessing I should go with a shallow sub?

Also are there any suggestions on a good amp/woofer combo?

I don't mind making my own but I'm not opposed to getting a Q-Logic since it looks pretty decent. What is the max size they will accept and if I build my own I'm guessing I should go with a shallow sub?

Also are there any suggestions on a good amp/woofer combo?

I think you need a shallow sub, but you may be able to fit a regular sub. Only one way to find out.

There are many good sub and amp combos.
Jut remember, you get what you pay for..

I was looking at the Alpine SWS 10D4. I would like to get the SWR 10D4 but I don't think it will fit in the housing. The housing says its 5-3/4" deep

I was looking at the Alpine SWS 10D4. I would like to get the SWR 10D4 but I don't think it will fit in the housing. The housing says its 5-3/4" deep

The Alpine is a decent sub. As long as you have a good amp, you'll be fine.

My amp is a Kenwood KAC-8104D

It's by no means great but it gets the job done. The customer service people at Crutchfield said it should work just fine with the Alpine.

The Q-logic box is available as both a 8" and a 10", the 8" just happens to be $139.99 and the 10" is $100 more, $239.99.

You'd of course save a lot of money just buying a sheet of 3/4" MDF and building a custom box to fit in the factory space behind the rear panel.

The factory enclosure is an option if you want to just use a shallow 8" but it'd be tough to squeeze a bigger sub in it without using a super-shallow sub.

As for subs, generally you'll make it easier on yourself by getting a shallow-depth sub with lower power requirements, but if you design the box for it, you can get enough space for a 10" sub that handles some power.

Depends on what you're after. A really well designed system with an 8" sub and ~200W amp can sound better than a 10" with 500W.

The Q-logic box is available as both a 8" and a 10", the 8" just happens to be $139.99 and the 10" is $100 more, $239.99.

You'd of course save a lot of money just buying a sheet of 3/4" MDF and building a custom box to fit in the factory space behind the rear panel.

The factory enclosure is an option if you want to just use a shallow 8" but it'd be tough to squeeze a bigger sub in it without using a super-shallow sub.

As for subs, generally you'll make it easier on yourself by getting a shallow-depth sub with lower power requirements, but if you design the box for it, you can get enough space for a 10" sub that handles some power.

Depends on what you're after. A really well designed system with an 8" sub and ~200W amp can sound better than a 10" with 500W.

If I were to stick with the stock enclosure do you think this would fit?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CWRT82/Kicker-40CWRT82.html?tp=111

Hunt the Stealth box if you can find one. I bought mine used for around $150 total many years ago. They are very heavy and fit the stock space very well. The 10" it came with is shallow, but supposedly a little deeper will fit also.

This is in a 93 body as I first test fit it;

Attachments

• Stealthbox01.JPG
    Stealthbox01.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 919

That should fit in the stock 8" sub enclosure.
You just have to remember, fitting is one thing, working with the stock amp is another.

The stock size woofer on mine is actually 6.5" which would leave me with cutting into the enclosure to fit the 8" woofer I want. The Alpine SWR-8D2 will fit in terms of depth, but I still have to reconfirm (measure twice cut once). That being said is there any place in particular that offers a stock 8" box? If not I'll just have to make the jump to aftermarket.

On a second note. Is it possible to just pull the stock speaker amp/head unit (whatever you want to call it). I have an aftermarket head unit and just want to make sure that it will work if I unplug the speaker amp from the JBL system. My concern is that it is used to power the second adapter by the head unit. If this doesn't make sense I can get some pictures. The JBL is just a PITA when it comes to sorting crap out.

It looks like you got the Box/Sub question pretty well figured out,. as far as an Amp I would HIGHLY suggest the Alpine MRP-M500, SUPER reliable, Class D, so it stays cool, and can be found pretty much anywhere for $200, less if you find a used one on Craigslist or something...

It looks like you got the Box/Sub question pretty well figured out,. as far as an Amp I would HIGHLY suggest the Alpine MRP-M500, SUPER reliable, Class D, so it stays cool, and can be found pretty much anywhere for $200, less if you find a used one on Craigslist or something...

Yeah I'm pretty much set but I would like to use the stock enclosure to save a couple extra bucks. However, if it's too big of a PITA then I don't mind getting the the enclosure.

I am still curious if I can remove the stock JBL amp/radio? I just want to free up space in the back. I took out the stock amp for the woofer and the woofer along with the 6 disc changer last night.

The stock size woofer on mine is actually 6.5" which would leave me with cutting into the enclosure to fit the 8" woofer I want. The Alpine SWR-8D2 will fit in terms of depth, but I still have to reconfirm (measure twice cut once). That being said is there any place in particular that offers a stock 8" box? If not I'll just have to make the jump to aftermarket.

On a second note. Is it possible to just pull the stock speaker amp/head unit (whatever you want to call it). I have an aftermarket head unit and just want to make sure that it will work if I unplug the speaker amp from the JBL system. My concern is that it is used to power the second adapter by the head unit. If this doesn't make sense I can get some pictures. The JBL is just a PITA when it comes to sorting crap out.

95-97 used a 6.5" 'Sub',
98-2001 used a 8" Sub.
Go to a scrap yard, find the box off a 98+, it'll fit and it's a bigger box in general.
Much better than the 95-97 one. I plan to get one too if I can find it at the scrap yard.

Yeah I'm pretty much set but I would like to use the stock enclosure to save a couple extra bucks. However, if it's too big of a PITA then I don't mind getting the the enclosure.

I am still curious if I can remove the stock JBL amp/radio? I just want to free up space in the back. I took out the stock amp for the woofer and the woofer along with the 6 disc changer last night.

I have been told that you can, I haven't done it on my own truck personally, but I will be doing it soon, need the room for an Extra Battery, and a Aux fuse panel.

Still curious if it is a bad idea to remove the stock amp? Any comments on that?

Still curious if it is a bad idea to remove the stock amp? Any comments on that?

I am hoping to do this tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens when I do, I will be removing the stock 4 channel amp, the JBL sub amp, and the sub, and box. But don't be upset if I just sleep tomorrow, I worked a few 10 hour days this week, and I am feeling pretty tired...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am hoping to do this tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens when I do, I will be removing the stock 4 channel amp, the JBL sub amp, and the sub, and box. But don't be upset if I just sleep tomorrow, I worked a few 10 hour days this week, and I am feeling pretty tired...

Haha I understand that. I am considering doing it but I might just try unplugging it before I pull it out all the way.

Back