Replacing Ball Joints on a 96

Cam's Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Winona, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
I have a stock 96 Sport
My truck has been squeacky lately and i had some friends look at it, a nd he noticed that on my lower drivers side ball joint, that the boot was cracked and it was really rusty in side, SO i baught the tools needed to replace a ball joint and a haynes manual. The manual says you can't change them.
Even though i can buy the part, ect...
1) can it be done
2) if yes, what do i need to watch out for
3) any advice?
4) thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cam's Explorer said:
I have a stock 96 Sport
My truck has been squeacky lately and i had some friends look at it, a nd he noticed that on my lower drivers side ball joint, that the boot was cracked and it was really rusty in side, SO i baught the tools needed to replace a ball joint and a haynes manual. The manual says you can't change them.
Even though i can buy the part, ect...
1) can it be done
2) if yes, what do i need to watch out for
3) any advice?
4) thanks in advance

1) yes, it can be done
2) make sure you have all the tools ahead of time
3) read and search threads on this site about it; a Haynes/Chilton's is not detailed enough.

Remember, on your truck (2nd gen) the (lower?) balljoint is part of the control arm; so you must change the whole control arm to change the balljoints. At least that's my understanding of it--I don't own a 2nd gen and am too familiar with their front end...

Yes, it can be done. Are you planning on replacing the upper or the lower ball joint? I only have experience replacing the lowers, and it was some time ago, but I could probably think of a few pointers. Also, is this a 4x4 or 2wd?

^ beat me to it. However, I have a second gen and was able to replace the lowers without replacing the control arm. It wasn't that difficult.

I need a lower put in. But haynes says that i have to replace the whole arm.
I understand that you really don't need to, but in the 2nd generation, i can't find anything on how to do it. Any sites, or instructions that you can give to help me out? thanks Cam

thanks ETC, that should be great!

Lower ball joints can be replaced by themselves. Upper ball joints must have the whole control arm replaced. If you buy a Moog control arm, you have the ability to swap out just the ball joint the NEXT time you need to do this repair. First time, you have to swap the whole control arm.

Another tip: the link above shows a 2wd. the 4wd is the same for the most part, one tip that I've found handy. Hold the cv shaft out of your way with a bungee cord. This will make it easier to keep the ball joint press lined up straight when pressing the new ball joints in. Also not shown in the link. You will have to remove the cv shaft from the wheel hub this takes a 32mm socket (or 1 1/4")

Rhett said:
Remember, on your truck (2nd gen) the (lower?) balljoint is part of the control arm; so you must change the whole control arm to change the balljoints. At least that's my understanding of it--I don't own a 2nd gen and am too familiar with their front end...

It's the UPPER ball joint that is replaced only as part of the control arm. The lower can be pressed out and replaced by itself. Your Haynes manual is obviously mistaken.

Lloyd10977 said:
It's the UPPER ball joint that is replaced only as part of the control arm. The lower can be pressed out and replaced by itself. Your Haynes manual is obviously mistaken.

Thank you for the clarification. Actually, it was not my Haynes manual that says this. If you notice in my post, I did say that I am not all that familiar with the 2nd gen torsion-bar front end. Therefore I was not absolutely certain WHICH ball joint is part of the control arm, upper or lower. I just knew that it was one of them, so I was trying to give the guy the "heads-up" as they say, to this little intricacy.

Back