• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Condenser

Paul L Fisher

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limitted
The compressor on my Explorer is having issues. It is recommended that you replace the condenser when you do the compressor.

Reading the service manual, it says to remove the radiator which requires removing the front bumper.

Has anyone done this and can I just move the radiator or gain access to condenser any other way?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are talking the AC condenser and compressor, you will need to do a lot more then remove parts. You will need a way to capture the Freon to start off with then a vacuum pump to evacuate the system when you reassemble it. I have not done one in years so to answer your question I don't know. I would think it would be covered under the 5 year 50 thousand mile warranty.

If you are talking the AC condenser and compressor, you will need to do a lot more then remove parts. You will need a way to capture the Freon to start off with then a vacuum pump to evacuate the system when you reassemble it. I have not done one in years so to answer your question I don't know. I would think it would be covered under the 5 year 50 thousand mile warranty.
Yes, I know. I have all that lined up.

Thanks!

5yr/60k*

The AC is not powertrain so it falls under the bumper to bumper.

Car has 70K miles. Not under warranty.

I was correcting the point that MLARV5 thought that is something covered under powertrain which it isnt.

The compressor on my Explorer is having issues. It is recommended that you replace the condenser when you do the compressor.

Reading the service manual, it says to remove the radiator which requires removing the front bumper.

Has anyone done this and can I just move the radiator or gain access to condenser any other way?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
Good luck with the repair and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

What kind of issues is your compressor having?

I don't think you have to replace the condenser, but should if there is debris in the system. Need to check that and see if you must replace or can possibly flush the condenser, depending on type and cost. If condenser is okay, just replace the compressor and the receiver/drier/accumulator and any other needed parts (o-rings).

What kind of issues is your compressor having?

I don't think you have to replace the condenser, but should if there is debris in the system. Need to check that and see if you must replace or can possibly flush the condenser, depending on type and cost. If condenser is okay, just replace the compressor and the receiver/drier/accumulator and any other needed parts (o-rings).

Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't want to post all the gory details about how I know I need a new compressor because it will muddy the discussion. It seems that doing that didn't help as the original question hasn't been answered. According to most things I read, newer condensers cannot/should not be flushed. In this particular case, the desicant bag is integral to the factory condenser so any flushing fluid would also get absorbed by the dryer, making it worthless as well as trapping debris in the system which will make my brand new compressor fail.

I am replacing all the parts that are supposed to be replaced when a failed compressor is diagnosed. This includes the condenser.

So.... does anyone know if I have to completely remove the radiator and front bumper cover to replace the condenser?

Receiver/drier/accumulator should be separate from condenser.

I haven't had to replace a condenser on an explorer yet, but I've done them on other vehicles without removing the bumper cover. I've always removed the radiator to reduce the likelihood of damaging it or the condenser. I've also changed compressors on vehicles and only added an inline filter to help protect the new compressor. Good luck.

Receiver/drier/accumulator should be separate from condenser.

I haven't had to replace a condenser on an explorer yet, but I've done them on other vehicles without removing the bumper cover. I've always removed the radiator to reduce the likelihood of damaging it or the condenser. I've also changed compressors on vehicles and only added an inline filter to help protect the new compressor. Good luck.

From Alldata "NOTE: The A/C condenser for this vehicle is produced from the factory with a receiver/drier cartridge installed in the integrated receiver/drier"

From Alldata "NOTE: The A/C condenser for this vehicle is produced from the factory with a receiver/drier cartridge installed in the integrated receiver/drier"
Looks like receiver/drier cartridge is serviceable/replaceable as it is sold separately.

If you have access to alldata info, why not just follow their instructions?

Pull the desiccant bag and see if it has black teflon seal material on it. Search Ford Black Death. Lots of info on the web about this.
If this is what you have take it to a Good a/c shop that has a flush machine and have them flush it. You can't do this at home. I tried it and I will tell you you are waisting your money. You can't get it all out and you will eat your new compressor. Yes an in line filter will help but not completely. Condensers can't be flushed out enough because of the small passages, Replace it if you have debris on the office tube. Desiccant bag must also be replaced every time you open a system, they are cheap anyway. Vacuum for a couple of hours before recharging. Get a scale and charge by weight ( fishing scales work for this). Don't use anything but R134a, hybred freons are junk.

Looks like receiver/drier cartridge is serviceable/replaceable as it is sold separately.

If you have access to alldata info, why not just follow their instructions?

I will follow the instructions, however, I wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they had any tricks and tips and if they really needed to remove the radiator and bumper cover. There have been times that doing it 'by the book' is not the fastest/most efficient way.

As for it being serviceable, yes, you have to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame of surround from the radiator and pull it out.

I will follow the instructions, however, I wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they had any tricks and tips and if they really needed to remove the radiator and bumper cover. There have been times that doing it 'by the book' is not the fastest/most efficient way.

As for it being serviceable, yes, you have to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame of surround from the radiator and pull it out.
I'm not aware of anyone having done this before and posting about it.

Peter

Back