Replacing Coolant System - 1999 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Coolant System - 1999 4.0 SOHC

NeuroResid

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey, guys. I'm interested in upgrading the cooling system as cheaply as possible. I'll do the labor. Do you see anything I'm missing, i.e. hoses, etc? Any small things I should change while I'm changing the following:

Coolant_upgrade.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has the lower thermostat housing ever been replaced? Probably the single most failed part on the 4.0 SOHC cooling system.
Earlier SOHC engines had threaded sensors that are also known to break when attempting to loosen. Here's an upgrade to
the newer design using o-ring sealed sensors if you choose to change it. Search "lower thermostat housing" and you'll see. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

Has the lower thermostat housing ever been replaced? Probably the single most failed part on the 4.0 SOHC cooling system.
Earlier SOHC engines had threaded sensors that are also known to break when attempting to loosen. Here's an upgrade to
the newer design using o-ring sealed sensors if you choose to change it. Search "lower thermostat housing" and you'll see. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

It was changed at approx. 90K, and is in need of changing again (currently leaks). Also, all the hoses are original (dried and cracked), and coolant leaks from the left side valve cover. . .

double core radiator

When the SOHC V6 first came out in 1997 the stock radiator was a double core, 2 inches thick. I think Ford cheaped out in 1998 and later years with the single core, 1 inch thick radiator. I replaced my 2000 stock radiator with one for a 1997 and have no cooling problems. I suggest that you do the same if you're serious about upgrading.

Back