Replacing Cylinder heads, which ones to get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Cylinder heads, which ones to get?

David Kilmer

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Yo,
so here is my story thus far.

I recently purchased a new family van, which I than starting driving my wifes old car, a 2000 ford exploder xlt 4L v6 OVH . It has about 170k on it, so a little love on it I was hoping it would last a while. Anyways, recently it overheated like mad on my way to work. Since I was going to work, I just immediatly went to the side of the highway and turned it off ( it didn't hit the red, but it was at 11:50 so pretty much went terminal after I shut it off ) and walked my happy ass to work. Later, I had it towed. It would turn over but I could tell by the way it sounded something really bad had happened as it sounded like it was missing two or three cylnders . I suspected head gasket right away.
Once it was home, I noticed it was completely out of water. Filled it up, turned it over, let it run, five minutes later I have a stream of hot water coming out of the muffler chassis near the back end. I did only use water since I figured something like this would happen showing I have a blow head gasket or worse.
Turned it off, let it cool down, and starting tearing it down. four hours later, I remove the cylnder heads to find water in three of the six . I inspected the heads, they were damaged in the water channels, but the rings were in tact. I took the heads in and they found fractures. Also the oxygen valves had some major destruction to the top sides. Everything else looks good on the way down, so first thing is first. I need to buy some cylnder heads.

On rock auto parts, there is a couple of forged heads for fairly cheap. One of them say the chamber is 48cc. I could measure it myself, but I can't seem to find this measurement on either the chilton or haynes or anywhere on the internet. I could be blind, it has been known to happen.

Anyways, any input would be appreciated.

go to king cyl heads brand new good price no core to pay freight back on.
roscoe

So I ended up getting the forged heads from EngineTech for really cheap. They were bare and without core return since mine were warped. great deal, and super great value, no problems whatsoever, just so ya'all know :)

Back