• Register Today It's free!

Replacing exhaust manifold

plumcrazylx

Reaction score
City, State
GF, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E/B
I've been lurking on here for a while now, but for the most part haven't had to many problems with my truck so not much need to post. That is untill now. The time has come to replace my driver side exhaust manifold on my 98 5.0 E/B. First off the Torque Master headers are out of my price range. I have the early style tubular manifolds that run about $160 from the parts store. Can I use the later style cast ones in place of the tubular? I can get the cast one for 60 bucks from same store. I'm only replacing the Driver side. Would having the 2 different style manifolds hurt in any way? The cast manifolds are better correct? I now what kind of job it is since I already changed out the gasket thinking that was the problem, should be a fairly simple project. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thank
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only problem I've had with the cast manifolds is they tend to "shrink" a bit once you have them off the car for a while. Any of you guys who have been around a while and worked on the old small block Chevy exhaust manifolds know what I'm talking about. They tend to pull the outside ports towards the center. You have a couple of choices. You can build a simple device that will spread them back so you can bolt them on, or you can drill the bolt holes bigger. I've also heard...but never tried...you can put them in the oven for a while and heat them up and install them hot like that and it helps.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on taking the cast manifold off anytime soon. It will be new and hopefully will last a while.

Back