Replacing Exhaust: Suggestions/Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Exhaust: Suggestions/Questions

CQ7String

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Hey folks,

My muffler on my '98 4.0 has gone south, and I'm looking to replace it with something other than the stock pipe.

I went to a Midas today, and the quoted price to replace it with an OEM knockoff is $389 - they'll only replace it from the flange back, including the piping and resonator.

I asked about going with dual outlet piping (fake dual, if you would), and they said that they don't do it. I went to three other shops in my area, and nobody would touch it - claiming routing issues, etc.

I'm guessing that my next best bet is to go to a full on custom shop, and get a single in-dual outlet muffler, and have them weld up a Y-pipe for the inlet. What should I expect to be paying for the piping afterwards?

If anyone has pics of routing on the 4.0L, I'd really appreciate it. I searched, and got a series of broken links/dead pics, and other people telling the original poster to search. ;)

Thanks much.

2 days ago I just got a flowmaster 50 series installed on my new truck. 2 1/4" piping, one pipe exiting out the rear to the side ( on pipe exiting out the side of the drive on the driver side behind the rear tire and the same on the passenger side.) Bought the muffler off summit racing and got it installed by a local custom shop for $140. Bought 2 chrome tips from autozone for $8 a pop. Best of all, I didnt have to ditch the spare like I did on my old truck. It took some pretty crazy work but they did it. I can take some pics today. I took some last night but it was dark so it was hard to see how they routed the piping. Midas and all that dont want to touch explorers because they are so tight and it takes a lot of work to get the pipes routed right but trust me it can be done, this is my second explorer now with duals

Pics of the routing would be absolutely awesome bro, thank you. :D

I posted a thread in this forum just 3 mins ago with pictures....its about 3 threads up from this :p

Back