• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Front Rotors.

djmiller109

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Need help. I have to replace the front rotors on my 99 Explorer, I have changed the pads several times but never the rotors. Can someone give me the instructions for replacing the rotors on my 99 Explorer?

Is this a 4X4? If so take the caliper bracket off, and the rotor will slide right off.
Be sure to get all the "shipping oil" off the rotor first.

I have yet to work on a 2WD exploder, but I would imagine it isn't much different from some of the other 2WD trucks I have worked on.
Pop off the dustcap, remove the cotter pin, loosen the big nut, take your caliper bracket off, and the rotor and wheel bearings should come off the spindle.
If the wheel bearings are original, you might want to put new ones in there, just pack them full of grease. Clean rotor with brakeclean to remove shipping oil, install wheel bearings, put rotor and wheel bearings onto spindle. Put the big nut back on, tighten until you feel alot of drag, back it off just a little, install new cotter pin, reinstall dustcap, clean all the fingerprints off the rotor using brakecleaner, install brake claiper bracket.

Back