Replacing Fuel filter on a 94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Fuel filter on a 94 Explorer

CrazyAlaskan

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited 4wd
So I bought a new fuel filter and can get to the old one, but I cannot get the fuel lines to come off of the fuel filter. Is there a special tool needed to get the lines unhooked from the filter? I tried using needle nose the force the line away from the filter, didnt work. I tried to use 2 wrenches with leverage to pop it off and all it wanted to do was bend the medal tube coming off the filter. This thing is beginning to peeve me off, so far this explorer has been nothing but problums for us which supprises me. I have had 2 rangers and anohter x and never the problums I have had with this one. Any way any suggestions on getting the filter off would be appreciated. Also its a 1994 4wd Limited Explorer. I unbolted the bracket and loosened up the hose clamp and slid the bracket down the line so it was out of the way to get to the Fuel Filter and still cant get it to come off....my wife is getting upset and im getting beyond upset lol. Just want to get this darn thing fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it takes a special tool you can buy at a local auto parts store for a few dollars. Theres a thread on there with pictures showing how to use the tool to remove the lines.

I'll dig it up for you.

Boom, here it is: the pictures start at post #15
fuel filter removal

Man I appreciate it really I do!

Make sure you aren't directly underneath the filter when you do get those clips removed. Even after releasing pressure on the fuel system, there is still some fuel in the lines and especially the filter.

I got a face full of gasoline the last time I changed mine.....I had to move the creeper over a couple inches because I couldn't quite grab the upper hose enough to pull it from the filter. In the process I had my head right underneath the frame rail where the filter is and well....you know....gravity and all. :D

lol ya, When I attempted to take it off earlier I made sure I wasnt directly under it because I didnt want to take a Gasoline bath lol. Tomarrow im ganna go down and pickup the tool and hopefully get the fuel filter changed. Hopefully that will fix the problum.

I bet Sarah can change that filter in no time and not worry about the gas !

Well I changed the fuel filter but the problum persists. After I changed the filter I hooked up the jumper cables to my ranger and had to crank it in 4 second intervels for around 15 mins to get it to start. It ran fine, shut it off and it started back up fine so i left and went home (its at my wifes work). So 10 mins ago she calls me and tells me that again its not starting. It will turn over but not start. She is ganna get her friend to giver her a jump after she gets off (she went out to see if it would start before she got off when this happened) to see if she can get it to start after its jumped.

Something else I noticed was that the Fuel pump is reallly loud, like when i turn the key to the on position i can hear it hum really loud before it starts and even after it had started i could hear it under the truck pretty well. Is this commen for them to be that loud? I meen my rangers not nearly that loud or is this a sign the Fuel pump could be going out? Im at a loss here. About ready to just junk this thing. It has been a money pit since I bought it.

Aftermarket pumps, especially Airtex, tend to be really noisy even when brand new. If you've replaced the pump recently it might just be a noisy pump, if the pump has been in there for a few years, it's possible that it could be on it's way out though.

An engine needs 3 things to start - air, fuel, & spark. If you're missing one of those, the engine won't start. Figuring out which one you're missing is usually pretty easy, but figuring out why you're missing it is another story.

Best thing to do would be to get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge, then prime the engine a few times. Turn the key to the on position, let the fuel pump cycle, then turn the key off and wait about 5 seconds. Repeat that 3 or 4 times and then check the fuel pressure. If it's low or non existent then you probably have a bad pump.

Ok, I will see if i can pick up a fuel pressure guage. Last night she did finally get it to start and drive home. The wierd thing is She said it had gobs more power than it has ever had before. She said it would get up and go where before it felt like a slug. But then as soon as she got it home and shut it off its doing the same thing. How ever i did notice then when I went out this morning It would sputter a little bit like one or maby 2 of the pistons is firing but not all of it. And it did start ONE time for me but then that was it just sputtering after when i tried to start it again. What confuses me is why it would not want to start and when she finally did get it to start it had gobs more power and ran smoother than it ever has before.

The sputter could be fuel related or ignition related which is why a fuel pressure gauge would come in handy. You don't necessarily need to buy one as a lot of parts houses will have them available for rental. The pressure gauge will either confirm or rule out the fuel system as the problem.

Key On, Engine Off: 35psi - 45psi
Key On, Engine On: 30psi - 40psi

One other thing to check with a pressure gauge would be to check the static fuel pressure. Hook the gauge up, check the KOEO & KOER pressures, then leave the gauge attached and shut the engine off and see what the pressure is. If it's 36psi when you shut the engine off and then 5 hours later it's 8psi then you have a leak in the system. Injectors leaking down or a check valve on the pump letting fuel back into the tank via the supply line. It's normal to lose a couple psi, so if it goes down to 34psi and stays there for 12 hours, you're OK.

WHat are KOEO and KOER pruessures?

KOEO - Key On, Engine Off. You turn the key to the On position, it's the last one before the Start position. Engine is not running.

KOER - Key On, Engine On. Simply start the engine.

I listed the specifications in my last post.

ok thanks, I will have to run in to town and see if i cant get my hands on a Guage and test it. Wont have time today but maby tomarrow. I appreciate your help btw.

i still cant get mine off. tried the plastic harbor freight tools, the scissor type, bic pen cap, sharpie cap, nothing. these things suck to remove...

If you get "crud" in there it will really be a bear to get out. I found spraying carb cleaner and pb-blaster into there (where the funky tool goes) to get all the crap out of there does help. Its an odd feeling when it works. You pushing the tool onto it and once you get it where it belongs, with your third hand you pull the line itself out.

~Mark

Well I changed the fuel filter but the problum persists. After I changed the filter I hooked up the jumper cables to my ranger and had to crank it in 4 second intervels for around 15 mins to get it to start. It ran fine, shut it off and it started back up fine so i left and went home (its at my wifes work). So 10 mins ago she calls me and tells me that again its not starting. It will turn over but not start. She is ganna get her friend to giver her a jump after she gets off (she went out to see if it would start before she got off when this happened) to see if she can get it to start after its jumped.

Something else I noticed was that the Fuel pump is reallly loud, like when i turn the key to the on position i can hear it hum really loud before it starts and even after it had started i could hear it under the truck pretty well. Is this commen for them to be that loud? I meen my rangers not nearly that loud or is this a sign the Fuel pump could be going out? Im at a loss here. About ready to just junk this thing. It has been a money pit since I bought it.

It sounds like the fuel is siphoning back down and leaving you with a dry Fuel Rail. What happens if you turn the Key to "ON" listen for the Pump to stop , do that like ten times Then try to actually start it? If it starts up after that, that would tell you that the fuel is not staying up in the Fuel Rail after it's turned off for a while. Not sure but I think the Fuel pump is responsible for acting like a check valve.

i had a problem like that when i 1st got my 94 x i replaced the battery and the and the damn thing wouldnt start so i jumped (by jumped i mean take a wrench and touch both big posts on the solenoid together) the starter solenoid on the fender and it started up and ran like a champ so then i replaced that which was a 25 dollar part

Back