replacing fuel pump, having problems removing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing fuel pump, having problems removing.

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
Ok, in the middle of removing the fuel pump and having difficulty removing the fuel lines. I have the 3/8" and 1/2" disconnect tools and working on the larger of the two lines right now. 3/8 is of course to osmall, and we can't get the 1/2 inch to go on to the fitting and inside the hose connection.

Suggestions or ideas? We're stuck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to find a plastic bottle somewhere which has a cap slightly larger than the smaller tool, cut off part of this cap to make a sleeve. Slide the sleeve onto the smaller tool, making it a little larger.

The fuel line fittings are always a pain. The only way I ever get them to disconnect it to quit fighting it. Work slowly and smooth, just when you are about to give up it will seem to fall apart on it's own. Oh, with the tool in place, try moving the connector together some, push the tool in a bit more then pull apart. Kinda like chinese handcuffs.

Tried the shim but it didn't work. Found out that a 5/16th fitting for a Chev worked great.

Not too sure what tool you have (Which Version) but when I got mine, since I did not know the specific size, i bought the one with 4 different sizes.

Fuel lines are still a pain to remove in my book.

The one I had was specific for Ford, but still never had the one size. Found another tool that had the 3/8 and 5/16, and that did the trick.

Back