Replacing Gen 2

ggomez2

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6
hello all,

I'm sadly looking for another Expo after my '01 EB V8 was stolen this past summer. Going to skip right over gen 3 and have been looking around for 06 - 08 EB or Limited with the V8.
Just wondering if there's any pointers you all have for me to look at while I go around checking them out.. My price range is 15k-16k and would love to avoid the spark plug/head issue but at this range I may not be able to.

Also any opinions on the 2nd row captain chair option? I came across a couple and it seems neat to have but not sure how convenient it is (cargo loading, all seats flat, etc).

Thanks in advance!

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello all,

I'm sadly looking for another Expo after my '01 EB V8 was stolen this past summer. Going to skip right over gen 3 and have been looking around for 06 - 08 EB or Limited with the V8.
Just wondering if there's any pointers you all have for me to look at while I go around checking them out.. My price range is 15k-16k and would love to avoid the spark plug/head issue but at this range I may not be able to.

Also any opinions on the 2nd row captain chair option? I came across a couple and it seems neat to have but not sure how convenient it is (cargo loading, all seats flat, etc).

Thanks in advance!

:exp:

Spark plugs and exhaust manifolds are the main things to question the owners about. If they haven't been done they will most likely need to be around 80-100k miles. For $15,000 you would be able to get a loaded 2008-2010 XLT 2 wheel drive without a problem, avoiding the plug issue. However it will be more of a challenge to get an EB or limited that don't have the spark plug issue in that price range. Besides, the plug issue I feel is a little overstated, it can be expensive but it is usually only up to double what it normally costs to have plugs done.

The manifolds however are the annoying ones, I paid $900 to have them both done. It was only $340 for my plugs, versus $250 for the plugs of every other vehicle I own and have owned.

As far as captain chairs I have no idea. All I know is I have the third row in my truck and people usually prefer to have three in the middle row than sit in the third row. Mostly because it is so cramped and uncomfortable.

Also I heard that if you have the powerfolding 3rd row or powerfolding running boards the motors tend to break.

Spark plugs and exhaust manifolds are the main things to question the owners about. If they haven't been done they will most likely need to be around 80-100k miles. For $15,000 you would be able to get a loaded 2008-2010 XLT 2 wheel drive without a problem, avoiding the plug issue. However it will be more of a challenge to get an EB or limited that don't have the spark plug issue in that price range. Besides, the plug issue I feel is a little overstated, it can be expensive but it is usually only up to double what it normally costs to have plugs done.

The manifolds however are the annoying ones, I paid $900 to have them both done. It was only $340 for my plugs, versus $250 for the plugs of every other vehicle I own and have owned.

As far as captain chairs I have no idea. All I know is I have the third row in my truck and people usually prefer to have three in the middle row than sit in the third row. Mostly because it is so cramped and uncomfortable.

Also I heard that if you have the powerfolding 3rd row or powerfolding running boards the motors tend to break.

Why would you be worried about exhaust manifolds at 80,000? The plugs are fine until ~100k and changing plugs on the 3 valve 4.6 is not difficult at all.

And what is this plug issue you are referring to on the 4.6?

Plug issue is when you go and change them at 100k. With the 3V, the design is much different than a 2V. There is a long, and i mean long metal insulator after the threads. Carbon is know to build up on it and with the extreme close tolerances they almost weld in place, or you snap the plug in half if you get it to turn. Last thing you want to hear -imo- is they have a 'kit' to remove said snapped plug. It just reads like a nightmare. Long story short is if you use seafoam, soak, 1/8 turn, walk away, soak, 1/8 turn, walk away etc, you can remove it over a few days, if your lucky. Search google/youtube 3V snapped plug or repair there is a video out there.

edit: somewhere in '09 the 3v got a new design, more like a regular plug, carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue.

Quad Buckets vs 2nd Row Bench. '04 Ex has the Quads, '10 Mounty has the bench. Biggest difference is comfort and room vs seating capacity. Cargo is very similar both fold and tumble, so the biggest question is how many do you want to carry and who?

With Quads buckets and 4 adults its more comfortable on very long trips, you get the Center Console, which you can store stuff, pop holders; Seats recline too; it just gives the second row occupants more space for more junk. But the only drawback is you lose a seating position. Seats fold flat almost level with the center console, there are more gaps but not that much to matter; i did fit a 50" flat screen no problem.

2nd Row bench, it is nice if you have to carry 5 adults; not bad on short trips but on a long distance there is no where to put anything, you could put a cooler/bag on the center seat, more clutter. It helps if you consider what you can fit in the 3rd row.

What fits in the 3rd Row? - kids or small adults for short trips; on long trips only a kid would want to sit in back for any length of time. 2 Adults in Front; 2 or 3 adults in row 2 and 2 kids in row 3. Seats also fold and tumble. When folded the cargo floor is more uniform, less gaps.

hopefully this helps.

Why would you be worried about exhaust manifolds at 80,000? The plugs are fine until ~100k and changing plugs on the 3 valve 4.6 is not difficult at all.

And what is this plug issue you are referring to on the 4.6?

2006-2008 they had a large problem with the plugs. As the guy above me explained. As far as manifolds I have just known that many people have had them warp around 80-100k miles with the V8. I'm not sure exactly what years are affected though. I just know that it is a common occurence.

If you have to question whether to get the quad buckets or bench, I say get the bench.

Also, don't rule out a Mountaineer. When I was looking, they were easier to find with the V8, most are loaded Premier models, and when compared to a comparable Explorer, were actually cheaper. The Mounty V8-AWD powertrain is identical to the V8-Auto-4WD powertrain in the Explorer, minus the low-range in the Exp. Both are RWD with auto-engaging fronts, and both let you lock the front and rear axles.

All-
Thanks for the insight.. first time I've come across discussion regarding the manifolds. Does it spring up that much? Is it an exhaust leak kind of thing to look for based on sound/smell?

My '01 Expo was an AWD and had some slight issues with the center diff, just a little noisy when turning, but overall loved it in the snow. I live in CO so 4WD or AWD is a must, just worry about some of the off road terrain I sometimes head out to for camping and rafting. Not sure how much I'd use low range but having used it with a 4Runner on a few trips after my Explorer got stolen, I can definitely see the plus of having it.

thebrakeman- You mention locking the axles, how's that accomplished, after market parts I assume?

All-
Thanks for the insight.. first time I've come across discussion regarding the manifolds. Does it spring up that much? Is it an exhaust leak kind of thing to look for based on sound/smell?
?

It's a sound on a "cold" engine at startup. It sounds like a gasket leak on a cylinder....like a "puff, puff, puff". However, it goes away when the engine warms up. So if you go to test drive one and see that when you drive, that the engine is already warm, you might miss it. Make sure you check for it when the engine is cold. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it needs to be fixed.

I did my own spark plugs at 72k. (one was mis-firing) Followed the directions on a youtube vid like someone else said and it worked fine. I also had the $70 tool just in case.

All in all I would stay away from this gen EX. I have so many other problems with it they are to numerous to count.

I've got the quad captians chairs. They were awesome when we didn't have kids. No that we have two kids in car seats, getting a third person in the back takes a little bit of effort to get them in the third row seats. Would be nice to just get them into the middle seat. Not the end of the world by any means. I actually going to look at removing the center cosole to make it easier to access.

I actually going to look at removing the center cosole to make it easier to access.

I did that with my '04, worked out real well. I did have some exposed sheet metal afterwards which i covered with a mat. The dog used to sit in the middle, works more like a van walk through. i had a pic while back, with it removed in the 3rd gen forum.

It's a sound on a "cold" engine at startup. It sounds like a gasket leak on a cylinder....like a "puff, puff, puff". However, it goes away when the engine warms up. So if you go to test drive one and see that when you drive, that the engine is already warm, you might miss it. Make sure you check for it when the engine is cold. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it needs to be fixed.

I did my own spark plugs at 72k. (one was mis-firing) Followed the directions on a youtube vid like someone else said and it worked fine. I also had the $70 tool just in case.

All in all I would stay away from this gen EX. I have so many other problems with it they are to numerous to count.

Marc6, thanks for your reply.
I'm surprised with your comment regarding the Gen IV Explorers. From my research on this forum and a few other sources, it seemed that this was my best option over the entire line of Explorers, then maybe last couple of years of Gen 2.If anything I thought the gen to avoid was Gen 3; I've based these assumptions on things like how short the "stickies" list for Gen 4 is compared to 3. Anyone else have any insight on this? I really loved my '01 EB V8, I'd just can't picture myself buying another one since low mileage/cared for examples are probably non existent at this point.

Thanks to the others who have replied, as well!

All-
...thebrakeman- You mention locking the axles, how's that accomplished, after market parts I assume?
No aftermarket parts to lock the center diff.
Explorer: Push the dash button marked "4x4 Hi". For 4x4 low, get moving 2-3 mph, place in neutral and press "4x4 Lo".
Mountaineer: Press "Setup" menu button until AWD shows up in the console. Press "Reset" button to toggle between "Auto" and "Lock".

Back