replacing head unit in eddie bauer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing head unit in eddie bauer?

explorer82184

Reaction score
City, State
plano,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
I just recently purchased a 98 eddie bauer and the head unit has problems with green led lighting? Sometimes it works, but most of the time the screen is just black and I cant see the clock or anything. I would like to replace it and get an mp3 player, but I dont want to lose use of my steering wheel controls or backseat controls? Is this possible without spending a lot of money on it? If not I will just replace it with one from another eddie bauer, if I can find one to buy.

it is not possible to use the steering wheel controls when replacing the unit with an aftermarket one. there is actually a fix for the green backlighting on the headunit.. there are countless posts on that problem somehwere on this site... just not sure exactly where...

jimabena74, sorry, you are wrong on this one. I also have a 98 Eddie Bauer and just installed an Alpine HU and I am still using my steering wheel controls for it. I have a web site that sells that part to make the connection. It's just infared. So go ahead and buy you a good aftermarket HU,you can still use those steering wheel controls as you like. Let me know if you need the web site for the part.

edit - what the heck, here is the web site to get the part you need to still play with the buttons on the steering wheel when using an aftermarket HU.
Dead Link Removed

thanks a lot for your help guys! If I cant fix the led, then I will look into buying that new aftermarket head unit!

Back