Replacing headlight bulb on 2001 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing headlight bulb on 2001 XLT

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I think my 2001 Explorer XLT with 183K miles is still running the same headlight bulbs .......... I bought it in 2003 with 35K miles and I dont recall replacing the bulbs.

The amount of headlight illumination is really poor. I clean the lenses every few months with a polish/drill attachment - it helps some but is temporary as expected.

So I was thinking about putting in a new bulb. I looked at the owners manual - looks pretty straight forward, especially for a person with small hands, wrists, etc.

Does anyone have any pointers for ways to make the bulb more accessible via removing/loosening parts ?

I'm also open to replacement bulb (9007) suggestions.

Thanks.

It really is as is stated in the manual. Reach in, unplug, remove the locking collar, pull the bulb out. Replacement is the reverse of removal.

It's a pain the first time you do it, but, once you've done it a few times, it gets easier.
Also, new headlight housings are pretty inexpensive. It might just be time to replace them, which is also a pretty easy job.

One tip I can offer is DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS part of the new bulb. If you do, clean it with alcohol. The headlight's on the Gen II Ex's are not very good (even when new) but installing new headlights and bulbs will make an improvement. I don't have any experience with "high performance" bulbs,

The headlight's on the Gen II Ex's are not very good (even when new) but installing new headlights and bulbs will make an improvement.

This. I really recommend replacing the headlight housings themselves if yours are oxidized. It's the difference between "Are my headlights even on?" and "I can see."

That said, even when new, the 2nd gen headlights are pretty poor by modern standards. Invest in some aux lighting. Even cheap aux lighting. I have a set of inexpensive LED spots relay'd to come on with my high beams. Makes a world of difference.

Back