Replacing main rear seal and oil pan gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing main rear seal and oil pan gasket

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
After getting the 97 5.0 AWD running last weekend I had high hopes that my oil leak would remain minor and I could just live with it. I've been running the engine between 20-30 minutes each day since last Friday to make sure things are working properly. Last night I ran it for about 30 minutes and I noticed there was a consistent dripping of oil that's not going to be acceptable. It's just to much oil for the short amount of time the engine was running and it had become worse since I first ran the engine.
I'm assuming the more serious dripping is coming from the oil pan and possibly where I had to add the cork pieces from the felpro timing gasket kit (maybe, maybe not). Anyway my plan for the oil pan gasket is to splice the gasket right where the steel portion meets the solid rubber portion and RTV it back together. Since this is one of the areas where you're supposed to add RTV anyway I'm not worried about using it to mend the pan gasket back together. I figured I'd wrap the gasket around the pan and bring it back together from the rear a @CDW6212R reccomended, then RTV the gasket and let it cure for 24 hours. Then add RTV to the areas im supposed to and reattach the pan to the engine.
Now I know I have to pull the front diff out to get to all the oil pan bolts out, I also know I'm going to have to lift the engine to get a reasonable amount of clearance to work with the pan gasket. I also need to replace my motor mounts so I figured this would be as good of time as any. My question is, how far can I safely lift the engine before I'm going to have to go around unplugging a bunch of stuff and is there stuff I should unplug anyway. I'm not to keen on working on the engine while solely relying on the shop crane but I'm left with little choice unless I completely pull the engine which I really don't want to do for the sake of a gasket.
I also plan on replacing the rear main seal since I assume it is also the source of an oil leak. The transmission has to come out for that which I imagine will be a great help with the pan gasket replacement too.
Since I'll have the transmission out I might as well replace the transmission mount too.

For those more experienced with these repairs than myself, does this sound like a good course of action? Also what pitfalls should I watch out for as I start taking things apart and out of the vehicle? This will be the furthest I've ever gone on vehicle repair so naturally I'm nervous about it. Any other members on this forum here in Idaho? If you are and you feel like earning some beers and pizza any help would be much appreciated.

Back