Replacing my 4" screen with an 8" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing my 4" screen with an 8"

Don't mind my notes, Hope that helps. Now if it does not have Sirius and it does not have it I can help with that also. I have even done the Sony upgrade to. You basically need to wire the plug to SYNC 2 so any Qualifier that shows Sync 1 need to be moved to SYNC 2 pins. Just be aware that some stay as the only difference is the wire Gauge.
Ok so wheres the picture of the rest of the pins lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, Did not thing you needed it.
C2383.2.jpg

Your gonna need Forscan to do the rest. Also do you know if it has the GPS module above the gauge cluster? You will need this if it does not.

Your gonna need Forscan to do the rest. Also do you know if it has the GPS module above the gauge cluster? You will need this if it does not.
I have no idea at all. Nav says insert SD card currently. I wasn't going to worry about nav if it was too hard. Just want phone and media to play. This is what my screen looks like. Says entertainment unavailable.

20210601_204439.jpg

Start by resetting it. Hold the power and next track button down till it resets. Or disconnect battery for a minute. If that does not work your going to need to configure with Forscan. I can tell by the compass that you don't have the GPS module that mounts just under the dash above the Gauge cluster. They are simple to wire FYI. Just power ground and MSCAN.

I have no idea at all. Nav says insert SD card currently. I wasn't going to worry about nav if it was too hard. Just want phone and media to play. This is what my screen looks like. Says entertainment unavailable.
I'm guessing that you didn't check for the SD card in the donor vehicle.

Peter

Nav is really easy. The SD card/USB hub is a simple USB wire to the APIM and than a few data/power wires that you run. Since your APIM already has it than it will go easy for you. Your problems are not gonna be fixed though until you get Forscan.

I'm guessing that you didn't check for the SD card in the donor vehicle.

Peter
I have the SD card from the donor vehicle

Nav is really easy. The SD card/USB hub is a simple USB wire to the APIM and than a few data/power wires that you run. Since your APIM already has it than it will go easy for you. Your problems are not gonna be fixed though until you get Forscan.
I have a buddy that works at the dealer who is going to try and take a look at it for me. Where do I get forscan?

I have a buddy that works at the dealer who is going to try and take a look at it for me. Where do I get forscan?
www.forscan.org you will also need an adapter. All that is on the Forscan site though.

I have a 2015 PIU. I have Sync 3 in it from a 2018 Explorer. The ACM and Sony DSP are from a 2018 Edge. The Sony APIM is from a 2015 Explorer.

I have a 2015 PIU. I have Sync 3 in it from a 2018 Explorer. The ACM and Sony DSP are from a 2018 Edge. The Sony APIM is from a 2015 Explorer.
From your research were you able to accomplish this bc your didn't have Sync before or does it not seem to matter... That you know? I have a 2017 with the basic "Sync myford" just Bluetooth 4" screen & dialpad

From your research were you able to accomplish this bc your didn't have Sync before or does it not seem to matter... That you know? I have a 2017 with the basic "Sync myford" just Bluetooth 4" screen & dialpad
It would not matter for the most part but because you have Sync you have several parts that I did not have. You would have the larger 54 pin plug for the ACM that I had to convert to myself. A 2017 is a different network than a 15 so there are some differences as it adds the HS2 network. I made all custom harnesses for mine and pinned everything to match the wire diagrams. It's a huge amount of work.

It would not matter for the most part but because you have Sync you have several parts that I did not have. You would have the larger 54 pin plug for the ACM that I had to convert to myself. A 2017 is a different network than a 15 so there are some differences as it adds the HS2 network. I made all custom harnesses for mine and pinned everything to match the wire diagrams. It's a huge amount of work.
Holy wow that does sound like allot.
How many hours you got into that?

Also, what is HS2?

Holy wow that does sound like allot.
How many hours you got into that?

Also, what is HS2?
Countless hours. The power liftgate and the Sony wiring took the longest. HS2 is High Speed 2 network.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Countless hours. The power liftgate and the Sony wiring took the longest. HS2 is High Speed 2 network.
So what you're suggesting is that bc I haven't the sync MyFord already with the 54pin ACM I could at the least plug it in and try? Did you need any dealership programming for your Sony 8" up fit Bill?

Back