• Register Today It's free!

Replacing my fuel pump 95 XLT

paul.milne

Reaction score
City, State
Camp Lejeune, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Performed all the tests on my explorer, replaced relays, fuel filter, etc. Narrowed it down to the the fuel pump. I have been hesitant about replacing it, but decided to dive in.
Fuel pressure has been released, fuel filter line to tank is removed.
How do I disconnect the fuel filler pipe from the gas tank? I have twisted and pulled but no luck. I removed the screws holding the filler pipe to the body where you insert the gas pump, but still cannot remove it from the tank.
What do I do to remove the filler pipe and vent pipe from the tank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where the hose connects to the tank is a quick disconnect. Just slide the clip out and pull the hose free.
I'll see if I can get a picture up......

hope this works

Attachments

• filler hose.jpg
    filler hose.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 285

Thanks, I'm on my way home to try it out.

Thanks so much. It worked. The pictures helped alot. The book I had didn't have very good pictures of the actual fittings.

thanks again!

Now it's on to dropping the tank :)

Glad you got it. I had the hardest time with the fuel lines. It turned out that the cheap fuel line removal tool I had just wouldn't do it. I finally broke the tool and had to buy a new one. Got em off in like a minute.

Luckily I read the forum on replacing the fuel filter that helped alot with the fuel lines, but then I just couldn't figure out the other two... the picture & explanation helped a lot. I replaced the fuel pump today and she started right back up after I primed the fuel pump a couple of times... Again, I appreciate it!

paul

Back