Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights?

jc_slick

Reaction score
City, State
New York City, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport. I want to replace the regular bulbs with the HID's without changing the whole assembly. Does anyone know if they sell the exact same bulb/light from the Explorer limited? Is it as simple as that? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure it's not that simple. But if you want an HID look alike go buy some Sylvania Silverstars.

some of those bulbs are nice but id like the official oem hid bulb. the other ones really have that aftermarket look. Yeah they're nice but I'd like to try and stick with the OEM look

Sylvania's aren't bad. You should try them. I have the hid's and wanna change the bulbs to something whiter. Thinking 6000k or 8000k but wondering what is the OEM color..

Sylvania's aren't bad. You should try them. I have the hid's and wanna change the bulbs to something whiter. Thinking 6000k or 8000k but wondering what is the OEM color..
The higher the 'k' number the bluer the light and the lower the actual light (lumens) output.
Your brightest is 4300k which is what I believe the OEM HID is. 4300k is as close to natural daylight as you can get.

Peter

Thanks Peter, that clarifies a lot, I was wondering about the OEM color. I am thinking i'll go with 6000k, in my little mind it kinda makes the Ex look a little more sophisticated.

Thanks Peter, that clarifies a lot, I was wondering about the OEM color. I am thinking i'll go with 6000k, in my little mind it kinda makes the Ex look a little more sophisticated.
There have been a few members that have gone with the 6000k as a sort of 'middle of the road' option. Not too blue but yet still close to the brightness of the 4300k. I have included a link which helps to explain. Good luck with your project.

http://www.hid-conversion-kits.com/

Peter

I am curious why people doing this swap wouldn't want a light temperature that is as close to the factory HIDs as possible for maximum light output? I would think putting a 6k - 8k hid setup in wouldn't be as bright as the factory halogen.

I have had 6000k before and would choose them over 4300. 4300 is natural light but it has a yellow tint to it. 6,000k is a ice blue. It is very white.. reminds me of a LED mag light flashlight. It has a hint of blue at different angles but just a hint. Anything above 6k and you lose light output.. I would not recommend it, you will just be asking for a ticket from the cops.

There are a couple of threads on this issue that I looked at when researching my conversion to aftermarket HID's. I apologize that I've not yet figured out how to embed a link to another thread, but if you search for one titled "My Sport with HID 8000K's" in the Modified 2011+ forum it might help.

I chose the Coolbulbs product (in 6000k) based on recommendations and am completely happy with them. Their kit comes with everything you need (wires, ballasts, bulbs), and the output is very "clean"; not yellow and not too blue. As blwnsmoke indicated, it's a nice middle-ground.

I haven't compared them side-by-side to an Explorer with OEM HID's, but they seem pretty close. Also, I've had no issues or problems (in the short time I've had them installed) as has been described for some other brands.

I have had 6000k before and would choose them over 4300. 4300 is natural light but it has a yellow tint to it. 6,000k is a ice blue. It is very white.. reminds me of a LED mag light flashlight. It has a hint of blue at different angles but just a hint. Anything above 6k and you lose light output.. I would not recommend it, you will just be asking for a ticket from the cops.
I'm surprised about that 'yellow tint' part. When my OEM HID's reflect off signs, I notice a slight hint of blue. I just went out and put a mag light on the hood and turned on the headlamps as well. The mag light is definitely bluer. I didn't really notice a blue tint to the HID but it seemed to be a bright white. Now that I'm done with that little experiment all I see are spots every where I look. :D

Peter

Silverstar

Sylvania has SilverStar, SilverStar Ultra and now ZXE. I've used them all. The ZXE is like an HID, clean white and crisp and is street legal. $50 an you are in.

I'm surprised about that 'yellow tint' part. When my OEM HID's reflect off signs, I notice a slight hint of blue. I just went out and put a mag light on the hood and turned on the headlamps as well. The mag light is definitely bluer. I didn't really notice a blue tint to the HID but it seemed to be a bright white. Now that I'm done with that little experiment all I see are spots every where I look. :D

Peter

I have a feeling ours are 5000k, not 4300. One may not notice a yellow tint, again I like to use the "natural light" term but when you compare a 4300 to a 6000, it really shows the yellowness in it. I do like our stock HIDs and wouldn't spend the money to upgrade the color. Only thing I miss that I wish the ex had was the auto leveling feature.

But I would always go with a 6000k headlight and fog light combo if upgrading from halogen. The combo of both sets really brightens up the road. One would find themselves never using their high beams.

I am thinking of going with 4300, 5000, or 6000. I want to get as close to OEM as possible.

So I actually found the HID bulbs that are used on the Limiteds:
http://factoryxenon.com/shop/2x-osr...n-headlight-hid-bulbs-lights-new-genuine-oem/

There is a site where a fellow ford explorer owner posted pics of his limited and pulled the bulb out to show which type it is:http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?42343-2011-Ford-Explorer-OEM-HIDs

Now that I have found the bulbs, what else do I need to make this work? I know the headlights are d3s, are the fog lights h11? if so, which type? thanks in advance.
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...ulbs.aspx?year=2012&qual=10&model=751&make=30

I spoke to a live help sales rep on this site. Do you guys think this would work? Is this correct? Please help me on this. Thanks:
http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/Expl...non-Hid-Conversion-kit-slim-ballast-Ford-2012
http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/Expl...m-Ballast-For-Ford-Explorer-2012-With-Halogen
I think that installing HID's in the fog lights will pretty well rule them out as being of any use in fog or similar conditions. Too bright.
It seems that you are coverting them to driving lights. Using them in conjunction with the HID headlights for normal night driving will most certainly end up partially blinding oncoming traffic.

Peter

Let me help some of you with understanding color temperature. K refers to the Kelvin scale of light temperature.

3200* is the temp. tungsten burns. It is on the warmer side if the scale like the tungsten halogen bulbs in your house or older cars headlights. It's what we are all used to seeing all the time.

5600* is the color temp. of natural outdoor daylight. It is a cool light or has a blue tint to it. For example, any light coming in from a window to the outside during the day will be 5600*.

4300* is simply in the middle of the two for simplest explanations. So it isn't too warm or too cool of a light.

6000* is a bit cooler than daylight. More like a moon lit night.

In general, HID bulbs give off more lumens than tungsten using the same wattage. So therefore, things appear brighter with the HID bulbs. I hope I helped clear things up.:confused:

Let me help some of you with understanding color temperature. K refers to the Kelvin scale of light temperature.

3200* is the temp. tungsten burns. It is on the warmer side if the scale like the tungsten halogen bulbs in your house or older cars headlights. It's what we are all used to seeing all the time.

5600* is the color temp. of natural outdoor daylight. It is a cool light or has a blue tint to it. For example, any light coming in from a window to the outside during the day will be 5600*.

4300* is simply in the middle of the two for simplest explanations. So it isn't too warm or too cool of a light.

6000* is a bit cooler than daylight. More like a moon lit night.

In general, HID bulbs give off more lumens than tungsten using the same wattage. So therefore, things appear brighter with the HID bulbs. I hope I helped clear things up.:confused:
Also, contrary to what some may think, as the 'K' number goes up, the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4300k is the best for light output in my opinion as a good bulb can product 3100-3400 Lumens. Anything above 4300k is more for looks.

Back