replacing oil pan gasket on an 02 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing oil pan gasket on an 02 explorer

ml5888

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
how hard is it to replace the lower oil pan gasket on an 2002 explorer xlt 4.0 4x4? I have read that you have to lift the enging is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how hard is it to replace the lower oil pan gasket on an 2002 explorer xlt 4.0 4x4? I have read that you have to lift the enging is this true?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No, You don't have to raise the engine to remove the "lower", sheet metal oil pan. The engine must be removed from the vehicle to remove the upper, aluminum section so you are good to go just removing the lower, oil pan section according to the Haynes manual. I've never done this myself, just quoting the Haynes manual.

I replaced my '03 4.0 a few years back and didn't do anything special but remove the bolts and clean both surfaces.

I can't get mine off after taking all of the bolts out. I tried gently prying it and it would not budge.

It's been a while. but I had my sohc on the engine stand, and the pan was surprisingly hard to pry off the only thing holding it on was some sticky RTV.

Back