• Register Today It's free!

Replacing oil sender question

StuartT

Reaction score
City, State
La Conner, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
On my 1998 XLT with 6 cyl engine, how hard is it to get to the oil sender switch? I can't see it looking from under the hood, so if I am going to get dirty, I might as well know how easy or difficult it going to be first.

Also, I have a oil pressure "gauge", but I suspect it is not a variable read out, rather just a dumb idiot light dressed up to look like a real gauge. Is my assumption correct or do I need remedial training?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your oil pressure "gauge" is indeed a dummy gauge. At anything above 5 PSI of oil pressure it indicates in the center of the gauge. It's run by an oil pressure switch not a sender. You have oil pressure or you don't.

The switch is quite difficult to get at. It's located on the front left side of the engine behind the power steering pump. Probably easier to get to by going through the driver's side inner fender.

Your oil pressure "gauge" is indeed a dummy gauge. At anything above 5 PSI of oil pressure it indicates in the center of the gauge. It's run by an oil pressure switch not a sender. You have oil pressure or you don't.

The switch is quite difficult to get at. It's located on the front left side of the engine behind the power steering pump. Probably easier to get to by going through the driver's side inner fender.

You nailed it for me Koda. Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the gauge is real. It's the sender that's dummy. Some have taken the effort to replace it with a real pressure sensor. Used to be easy, because there was an external resistor that set the current to half-scale when the switch is closed and full battery voltage is applied. Later models have that resistor built into the gauge itself.

Actually, the gauge is real. It's the sender that's dummy. Some have taken the effort to replace it with a real pressure sensor. Used to be easy, because there was an external resistor that set the current to half-scale when the switch is closed and full battery voltage is applied. Later models have that resistor built into the gauge itself.

Well, If it doesn't have any numbers printed on its face I don't call that a "gauge" regardless of how the needle moves.

Back